Newbie got a coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Janos&Jen, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Janos&Jen

Janos&Jen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Hello everyone! I am VERY new here. I have 10 four week old chicks and was lurking through here trying to find a good (and inexpensive) plan for a coop. I decided to check craigslist to see if anyone had one, and this is what I came up with for a very good price:

[​IMG]

It is a child's playhouse with inside dimensions of 48.5"X46.5". I know this is not large enough to house 10 chickens but it will be large enough for 4 right? My husband went a little crazy when purchasing our bittys because it was cheaper to buy more. We will either get more space for them or give 5 or 6 to someone we know that has chickens.

I have been looking at everyone's set ups and I am pretty sure I can make it all work. I just want to make sure the space is enough. I plan to have 2 nesting boxes for the 4 chickens.

Thanks so much for your input![​IMG]

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    It's gorgeous! You could make it two levels and add floor space that way. If you build an outdoor run they will probably be in it all day anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  3. Janos&Jen

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    I never thought of making it a 2 story [​IMG]. I will ask my DH and see if he wants to do that. It is 6 ft tall at the peak so I figured it was plenty of space to place a higher roost.

4. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I think it will be great. That is an awesome looking play house. With a nice run attached you should be okay with space as they will spend alot of time in the run. My chickens only use 2 of the 4 nest boxes.
    Have fun with that!

5. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    Very cute! Adding a second floor inside would give them plenty of room.

6. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I would probably see if you can cut a smaller door into the large door, that way you can just open the small door when you want to let them out in the morning and close it up at night when they go in to roost. Maybe put the nest boxes just below the windows and make sure you put the roost up higher. Should be a fun project. Make sure you keep us posted with pictures of your progress.

7. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    That is a pretty nice house! I'd do what others suggested and make a second floor. It wouldn't take much since the structure is solid. A piece of plywood, a few floor tiles, some braces to hold it up and a ramp to go up and down. Even though you are willing to rehome six of the chicks it won't be long before you'll want more of the fluffly little boogers or you'll want to hatch a few out. May as well make space now. LOL With 9-10 hens you can only need three nestboxes.

8. Janos&Jen

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Do you think if I made the second floor we could house all 10 in it?

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Janos&Jen :

Do you think if I made the second floor we could house all 10 in it?

It will for awhile.
    I bet you find a way to 'expand' with additional levels and an outdoor run.... maybe add on somehow to add a little more space. Chickens like to be on the ground most of the time except when roosting.

I have a friend who lets his chickens free range all day but has a 4 by 6 coop with multiple roosts they sleep in at night. He has, get ready, 17 chickens living happily in the 4 by 6 ft sleeping coop.

Watch for fights, agressive pecking, feather pulling, etc. If they can't get along you can give some away.

you will definately need to let them free range in your yard or build them a 'yard'

I have 10 sq ft per bird in my coop/run combo.

And EVERYONE always wants more room, more birds, more room, more birds......

Gorgeous coop!​

10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    score! Nice coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by