NEWBIE! Got baby chicks, Can i let them roam freely in the backyard during the day???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nounoushe, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Nounoushe

Nounoushe Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Hello,

I just got baby chicks yesterday, and i was wondering is i can let them roam during the day in the yard? I'm afraid they will scatter and run away and i won't be able to catch them back?!
    Also they are now staying i a big tapper wear with a heat light, and i kinda of don't like the idea of them spending all they time and days in the tapper wear.

Advice and suggestion...

Thanks!

2. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Hello
    I'm also a newbie so don't know much at all but from what I've read I wouldn't let them wander anywhere for a few weeks as they need to be near their heat source, chick starter food and fresh water. I've had mine for 6 days and they seem very happy just in brooder with lots of cuddles [​IMG]

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    The above answer had some good advice. Baby chicks need a heat source until they feather out! Keep them enclosed and safe until then. Once they are bigger, and have a coop to return to, then you can let them wander in your yard. Please check out the Learning Center for details on chick care.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can take them for short outings to their coop/run, weather permitting. But you do need to keep them contained somehow. And you can not leave them unattended outdoors for long periods of time.

5. Nounoushe

Nounoushe Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Thank all!

I do have chick food for them and fresh water everyday.
    I was just curious if i let them out in the yard if they will follow me like a mommy hen hahaha [​IMG]

6. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    I doubt they will follow you unless you are feeding them goodies lol at least mine never do until the gpodies get broke out. I would keep a close watch at that young. Any breeze since they have no feathers, hawk, snake, dog/cat would get those poor little ones.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Helpful if you put your general location in your profile. Helps the rest of us give info that is pertinent to your locale. For instance: In the southern states, it's 60 - 80* during the day. The last couple of days, the HIGH for the day here has been 12 - 25*F and there's still 6 - 12" of snow/ice on the ground. It's good for chicks to get out for fresh air, as long as you can keep them contained and safe. Think outside the box, literally! Perhaps an upside down play pen, a circle made of wire, or any other means of keeping them contained. Beware, they are escape artists, and are also considered to be tasty snacks by most other animals. A hawk can swoop in before you could even react, and snag a baby. A crow would do the same with little chicks.

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It will be weeks before these baby chicks can regulate their own temps.they are also b
    Hatched with an immature digestive tract. Right now that tract t challenged by learning to digest complex cabs,maturing physically and establishing the right ratios of healthy bacteria so it can work efficiently. A warm ,draft fee,stress free place is the best ace for this to happen. That's called a brooder.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you want to expose them to bacteria they are not ready for, drafts they cannot cope with and things they may eat and cannot yet digest...Sure take them out into the outside world.

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Then there are those that brood chicks outside in the coop or allow them daily supervised access outside to explore and be chicks. Momma hen is not keeping her babies locked up from the world forever, so you don't have to either.
    But you can't just leave them to their own devices, you will need to hang with them and be sure they aren't getting chilled. If it is cold and windy out, don't go out. If it is a beautiful day, go out with them for a while.
    Mine do tend to stick near me - as they get older, they get braver and venture further away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by