Newbie has a possibly sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madddawg, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Madddawg

Madddawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Missouri
    My Coop
    After much research, most of it here, 6 days ago me and my 8 YR old went and got 8 chicks. 4 Barred Rock and 4 golden laced wyandottes. anyway. one of the Wyandottes Was a bit of a runt, I figured, whatever.. well 6 days later Its so much smaller then the rest and just lays there a lot more then the rest. Its not being picked (or pecked) on by the others that I can tell. It did have some dried poop hanging on that we clipped off, And I am pretty sure I saw it poop and I have seen it eat and drink, A little.
    Here a couple pictures, the runt is on the bottom of picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are feeding it medicated chicken food, brand and type I don't know because we dumped it into an air tight container and tossed the bag.

Anybody got any ideas?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'd give him a few drops of chick electrolytes and probiotics. As long as everyone is getting along okay and not picking on the little one, it's okay to leave him in for company and warmth. I'd double check his poops... just to make sure there's no blood or anything.

Where did you get them? Under what conditions were they kept before your brought them home?

You could also offer him some chopped up boiled egg. If he doesn't want to eat that, offer some raw yolk... He should gobble that right up! :)

Sometimes, we'll have a chick that needs a little more help than the others. In any case, touch his beak to whatever you're offering if it's wet, so he can get a little taste.

Keep us updated!

MrsB

3. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Also....................

[​IMG]

MrsB

4. Madddawg

Madddawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Thanks. I got them at Rural King. They got them from a hatchery. After my post here i was looking at the flier I got from Rural King from the hatchery and saw a phone number and called them. The guy basically said the same thing you said. Thanks again.

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Of course!

Let us know if anything else happens. :)

MrsB

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by