Newbie has question about splayed leg. Please help. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fjorddreamer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Hello,

I have 12 buff orpington chicks. They are 5 days old now. They are all strong and vigorous and eating and drinking well. I did notice, yesterday, however, that one chick has one splayed leg. The right leg is fine but the left leg sticks off to the side some. He walks a little funny compared to the rest of them, but he certainly can get around and has no problems getting to food, water, etc. He certainly isn't spraddled like the pictures I've seen here. He is on his legs, just not up as well on that left one. My question is, should I try the bandaid method even though it is just the one leg? And, if I do the bandaid method, does he have to be separated from the rest of the chicks? He is happy and content now so I don't want to take him away, if I don't have to. Need advice, please. Thanks!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I would try the bandaid method because it tends to get worse as they get older. You can leave him with the other, no need to seperate him. Good luck.

3. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks so much for your opinion. I really appreciate it. I just put the bandaid on him and he's definitely standing up straighter. He, of course, is having some trouble hopping around, but hopefully, he will figure that out. He seems content, though. Thank you for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by