newbie hatcher help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bikergirl, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    I've read some of the posts on there, and you guys are very helpful! and I need your help.

So I did a bad thing, some how the heat in my incubater got turned up to . . . 110 . . . [​IMG] I fryed them didn't I??? I don't have a candler so I cant look inside. I put them in on Dec 30th and the temp got turned up on the 5th for 2-5hr. Do I have any hope?

thans [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    First off, hello [​IMG] and [​IMG] !!! Second, don't worry to much. The temps were that high for to long. There may still be hope yet! Do you have a bright flashlight by chance? That is what I use to candle my eggs. I take and egg very carefully, you don't want to drop one, to a dark place and hold the flashlight at the top of the egg and look down in. This method has always worked great for me!

Hang in there! They should still be okay. [​IMG]

3. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    [​IMG] thanks gumpsgirl.
    I have a candler on its way in mail!

4. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I am new, day 20 on my fist hatch, so I don't know much BUT I have done A LOT of reading on here & have seen story after story of eggs that have hatched "against all odds"... High temps, low temps, power outtages, humidity problems, cracked eggs, you name it!!!!

So you absolutely, positively, DO have hope!!!

How many eggs & what kind? Just curious!

You really SHOULD get or make a candler... not just to check on them because of the temp spike, but just to see them in there - it's INCREDIBLE!!

I got a little LED flashlight, I think it was less than $6, it works GREAT!!! I like the LED lights because they don't get hot, PLUS they are SO bright- I could easily see what was going on in there, even though it was my first time trying.

You don't have to do this, but I also put a piece of foam "pipe insulation" (NOT fiberglass!!) around the end of the flashlight, to cushion it a bit & keep from bumping/tapping the eggs... I was paranoid I was going to crack one. Basically the pipe insulation is a tube, I cut off a 2 inch piece, the middle of it is hollow (so it looked like a foam "donut") & slipped the "lit" end of the flashlight down into it. Was really simple to do but I don't know if I am explaining it very well! Have also seen people use cloth (flannel) across the light & just secure it with a rubber band, cut a hole in the cloth so the light can shine through; makes a nice cushion between egg and flashlight.

Lots of other ways to do it, too... if you use "Search" for this message board, just type in "candler" or "candling"!

Good luck!! & welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

5. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    Hey Suellyn thanks for the posiyive outlook [​IMG]

I have 26 eggs 25 are 1/2 and 1/2 (2 dads a Maran and a Araucana the ladys are Andalusians, Australorps, Barred Rocks,a Rd.Island, a Maran and 2 Gold laced Wyandottes) One egg is a Buff Orpinton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by