1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Newbie Hatcher Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CheepSunglasses, May 30, 2010.

1. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    We are hatching our first eggs today and I wondered how long everyone left eggs to hatch before giving up on them. If they continue to peep after an unreasonable length of time, do you help them out? What is unreasonable? Thanks for your help.

2. We generally leave our eggs for up to 28 days before checking and disposing of them.
    We only help them out if there is a real problem and we can tell they are stuck to the shell. Many times they will pip and it might be 24 hours or more before they zip and pop out. During the zipping they will also tend to sleep. It is a tough call many times but the more you hatch the more you will get used to the signs of trouble.

3. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks so much. These little guys and gals are real survivors. The previous owner wanted to otherwise engage his broody, but these were already about 2 weeks along. So we asked if we could take them and finish hatching them out, and he was happy to oblige. But we are total noobs and, not only did they have a half hour car ride at about day 15 or 16, we are using a vintage, galvanized incubator that we weren't even sure worked. AND we have never hatched anything before. So far, we have hatched 5 out of ten eggs, which is pretty good under the circumstances, but I still hear peeping from at least one more egg. For your reference, the first were hatched early this AM, and the eggs were all started at the same time. Once they are out, we know exactly what to do with them. But we have never hatched any ourselves.

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    24 hours after the last hatchling and no pips and I'll consider checking (as long as it's past the due date). With a lot of those I'll at least put a small hole in the top of the egg so the internal pippers have fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: