Newbie hatching mistake & Rocky the peeper

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickBond 007, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I put 4 silkie eggs into the hatcher on Friday. I was hoping for Easter Sunday chicks. No signs of life, no rocking, no peeping. By Monday there was one egg with a pip at the very top of the air cell end so we watched/waited. Tuesday, still no sign of change (day 23) but we held out hope. Early this morning when I awoke at 5:30, I saw no change in the one pipped egg, lost hope for it and decided to chip away some shell at the pip site. Then, it peeped at me. I had chipped away enough that the membrane/shell is gone less than the size of a pen cap or slightly more, but the little peeper's beak is out peeping and breathing, and every once in awhile he wiggles but looked exhausted.
    I have read enough here to know "helping" is mother nature's job, not mine. Thus, I put the egg back into the 1588 bator with 67% humidity and 99 temp. Darling sons #1 and #2 sang the peeper the Rocky Theme Song and told him to Fight-fight-fight, and we'd hopefully see him when we got home from work/school.

Ok, lay it on me.... what are his chances?

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Awwww! Can't wait to see pics! [​IMG] The Rocky theme song "Eye of the Tiger" holds special meaning for my 16 year old son too. Maybe we'll be singing it to the chickys this weekend!

3. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Yes, well perhaps the name of the chick should be money-sucker because if he's the only one who hatches, I've spent a whole lot of money on incubators on this one lonely chick. [​IMG]

Anyone want to estimate the chance that he'll be alive when I get home in 6 hours? I know I shouldn't have helped..... <evidently I'm not that good with guilt>

4. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Darling son #2 gets home off the bus in 2 hours.... afraid to get that phone call. Cross your fingers for Rocky. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You need to help it out. It's not coming out on it's own.

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

It's totally up to you on whether or not to help. Some people do, some don't.

I helped one once, and have no regrets about doing so.

7. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Well, the issue is that I didn't help him out completely before leaving for work this morning. I will do so if he's still trapped at 5pm.

8. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Keep us posted.

(Humming the Rocky song)
    Michelle

9. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Well, when I got home, Rocky's situation had not changed except the membrane was very dry where exposed. I read the thread about "what to do when you intervene" and gathered warm water, a warm wet washcloth, dull tweezers. Darling son #2 and I went to work removing shell carefully, wetting membrane and freed Rocky within 4 minutes. He has a place on his wing where the membrane is dried/attached. He has a small amount of blood from the membrane vein but not excessive. We returned him quickly to the warm, moist incubator.
    He has been peeping loudly for 2 hours now. He attempts to rise up, then rests, and manages to move a bit from place to place.
    His feathers are drying now.
    He's loud, but I don't know if he's well. He is peeping every minute or two in several successive chirps.

How long does it take for the just hatched chick to gain it's composure/strength to stand?

I really don't know if I've done the right thing by helping this trapped chick. His egg-mates never pipped, and those eggs remain in the incubator. I suppose I'll probably remove them tonight as it is day 23.

10. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Baby is fine. Give it 24 hours to settle, fluff up, and rest. Give your eggs at least another 2 days and only take the lid off for a second tomorrow evening to grab this baby to put in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by