Newbie hatching question....UPDATE...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Karrie13, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am a hatching newbie and might have a problem… not sure. I set eggs on Oct 4 so if my calculations are correct this evening will be day 23. I started out with 10 eggs and had a few not fertile, a couple early quitters, and two that quite at like day 9. I am down to just one egg. I also set 7 Silkie eggs on 10-16 but that is another story. This egg has been “wiggling” the last couple days. This morning I heard some chirping coming from the egg! It is also moving around like crazy, it rolled itself up against the side of the bater and has been rocking back and forth. So, is this normal? Should I do anything? Does it need help?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    The chick is still in the egg but hasn't broke through the shell yet and is chirping like crazy. Shell is rocking a lot too.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    You'll want to set the egg in a place where it won't roll so much. Wrap a hand towel into a "snake" and circle it around the egg (not tightly) or set the egg in the top tray part of an egg carton. Room, but not rolling all the way across the incubator. It's hard for them to get out if they roll around while trying to get started, and uses up their energy.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Sounds like you will be reporting a pip soon (when they first break a hole through the shell). It is hard to do, but try and relax and let it hatch out on its own.

5. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am so excited about the whole thing and it is very hard to walk away from the bator. Of course I am home today with a sick kid so can't go to work. I took a hand towel and did as Mandelyn suggested. Of course it was cheeping up a storm but is now taking a break.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What's your humidity at?

7. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have had a hard time with my humidity... it is currently 63.

8. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well the chick has hatched and drying off! It needed a little help because the membrane was stuck to it but once I got it’s head and shoulder/back unstuck it was able to push itself out of the shell. Now my question is there is a little blood where the yolk was absorbed and a little knobby looking thing. Is this normal? The yolk was completely absorbed and it is chirping away and flapping around. I haven’t got a good look at its feet and legs yet to make sure they are normal.

It's toes do look curled. Do I do a splint now or should I wait until tomorrow?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by