1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie, hello from va!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ekalbach, Mar 14, 2015.

1. ekalbach

ekalbach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Hi all! This is our first time raising chicks. So far we have 3 Rhode Island reds and 2 barred rocks. I was thinking about getting a couple silkies. We already have our brooder and our coop set up. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

I don't have experience with Silkies, but aren't they all small chickens.

IMO, Silkies mixed in with RIR and BR would be at the bottom of the pecking order and I would be concerned about bullying.

There are so many with lots of experiences with mixed flocks on this site, if you don't get more opines here, then you should post the question on raising baby chicks or managing your flock.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too would have to agree that silkies would maybe not do well with the larger breeds. Drop by the Silkie thread though for more expert opinions on mixing them from other silkie owners. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice above. Enjoy the site!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies and Polish tend to be bullied and feather plucked because they look so different from a regular chicken. Also they are docile breeds and have obscured vision from their big crests - so vulnerable to predators. They are worth the extra effort to protect them.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello from a fellow Virginian [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! x2 on all the great advice given to you!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

I don't think that Silkies would get along well in that flock. They are smaller than those breeds and more submissive generally, so could be picked on. Also, Silkies can't see as well because of their crests so can't escape attacks. Some people keep Silkies with other breeds successfully, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck with your flock! Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks should be excellent layers for you.[​IMG]

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, think of egg basket... Our silkie went broody 4x last year.. She hardly layed any egg's.. But we love her so much & she is a fabulous mom..

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by