Newbie...help me decide: Ameraucana/Road Island Red/Bard Rock/Buff Orpington/Black Sex Link?

Vin

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
So I live in Connecticut and want to know out of the five breeds which is best for me. I want eggs...that's it. So a hearty bird that lays thru the winter (preferably w/o lights). Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on building a mobile hen house. The five breeds are what the local country store offers. Thanks in advance.

Ameraucanas are friendly and do well in cold climates due to their small pea comb. Though they aren't gonna break any records with their egg laying ability. It's about average. If you're looking for tons of eggs a production red might be the way to go. Also Ameraucanas can be difficult to get your hands on.

So I live in Connecticut and want to know out of the five breeds which is best for me. I want eggs...that's it. So a hearty bird that lays thru the winter (preferably w/o lights). Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on building a mobile hen house. The five breeds are what the local country store offers. Thanks in advance.

I would get some of each :D

If you wanted to have a rooster and hatch chicks, it might be nice to have only one breed so the chicks would be purebreds of one kind--but if you just want hens for eggs, then a mix is perfectly fine. And it can be fun to have a variety of chickens that are easy to tell apart from each other. The chickens themselves don't care whether they look alike or not.

Those are all good breed choices, but you will probably find that you like some kinds better than others. If you try them all, you will learn which ones YOU like best, and if you want more chickens in the future you can get more of whichever kinds are your favorites.

Back
Top Bottom