Newbie- Help with size of coop and linoleum

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Megs501, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Hello all! I am completely new to chickens, we are expecting our RIR chicks the first week of April. My very handy (mechanical engineer) husband is building the coop for us. It is up to me, however to research all the specs for it.
    I've been stalking you all on the threads for a while ;) I've collected LOTS of helpful information, from flooring to doors and wiring just by reading through all the threads. But I still have a few questions.

We plan on making this a tractor coop for our 6 RIRs. It will look something like this (thank you for Mike for posting his awesome coop for others to see!): https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mikecnorthwests-chicken-coop

I have seen that recommendations are 4sqft per chicken, so the coop is going to be pretty big and heavy for a tractor coop, holding 6 hens- is it common to house as many as 6 hens in a tractor coop?
    Another question- can we put the linoleum sheets on the walls INSIDE the coop as well as the floor? The husband is thinking that will help when it comes to cleaning it out- we can just spray the whole thing out at deep cleaning times. Or would this for some reason NOT be a good idea? I did see not to use the individual linoleum tiles because the moisture will become trapped between the tiles and cause health/sanitary issues.

Also, for 6 hens, do you suggest 2 or 3 nesting boxes? I was thinking three in case one goes broody, but will that be too many boxes for 6 chickens?

I can't think of anymore questions right now about the coop, but I'm sure I will.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I personally would paint the walls rather than use linoleum, just because of weight. A couple good coats of semi gloss or gloss should clean as well as linoleum.

I'd either give them one or two nests. If you get a broody, you will probably want to separate her and her eggs, at least til the chicks hatch. Safer for the eggs, and it is natural for them to go off by themselves to set on eggs. A nest with a very few square feet of attached run is plenty, and usually easy enough to knock together with a few scraps.

3. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Thank you so much! I liked the idea of painting the inside, and didn't consider that if I did a gloss/semi gloss it would wash well. Good point on the linoleum making it even heavier, hadn't thought of that either.

Great advice, thanks again! =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by