Newbie help!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 07butler, Apr 11, 2017.

1. 07butler

07butler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Ok my chickens will be here in two days and we haven't even finished the house yet. We got one more side to close in and then to build the nesting boxes, roosts and ramps. We are soooo confused on how to build the nesting boxes on or off the floor, how big and also how to build the roost for them we have 2x4s we planned on using is that ok for roosts? Should we round them or not? We built ( still building) a 6 x 10 house for them and have included windows to open to get the eggs out on one side. On the ramps how should the ramp be built on the outside and should there be any inside? Please help we are so lost on what to do and are at a stand still

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    2x4's are fine and you don't need to round them off, and it depends how many chickens you have to figure out the size of the roosts. Netsing boxes i would build 1x1ft and they [​IMG]

can go on the floor. I don't quite understand what you were trying to say about the ramps.

3. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    First question, how old are the chickens that are coming? Are they chicks? If so, take a deep breath, you have at least a month to finish everything! You know what, it is never wrong to take a deep breath. Do that anyway!

If they are full grown and laying, then you can just get the coop enclosed and finish the rest with them in it. You can use cardboard boxes on their side for now for laying or milk crates on their side just placed on the floor. The roosts are pretty important and should go in with the chickens. I hear from others that 2x4 works fine and it seems most do not round it. If you use screws, you can just attach a 2x4 roost now and maybe change your mind later. That seems easy enough to take out and replace.

I am not sure on the details of the ramp, but most pictures seem to have it not going into the coop. There is a rectangular opening a few inches up from the floor of the coop in a wall and then the ramp is attached just below the lip of the opening. I will try to dig up a nifty picture of how someone attached it with eyelets.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    You can attach the ramp to the side of the chicken coop with a piano hinge and then it will lift up if you need to clean under it.

5. 07butler

Apr 6, 2017
    Ok sorry the ramp going into the house from outside the yard. And I'm getting 4 rir 9 weeks old. I have 2 3 weeks old chicks inside right now also rir

6. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Where do you live? Reason I ask is that a 2x4 works fine for a roost. If you are in part of the country that gets below freezing for long spells in the winter it is a good idea to lay the 2x4 flat with the 4 inch surface facing up. This will cause there feet to be spread open while they sleep and their feather will be in contact with the majority of their foot keeping it warm. If you are in a warm climate that is not as important.

As far as nesting boxes go, if you have a way to build them so you can access them from the outside that is a plus. I am glad I don't have to go into the coop every time I go get eggs. Post some pictures of what you have completed so far.

7. 07butler

Apr 6, 2017
    Ok I will post some pics in a bit. No I live in the south sometimes we get cold weather but very rare.
    I was going to ask I've heard not to face the 4in side up

8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    The roost in our coop is a 2" x 4", 4" side up. The edges are not rounded.

We had a 2" x 2" rounded perch outside of the nesting boxes, the hens wouldn't use it, finally changed it out with a 1" x 4", 4 " side up. They liked that much better.

9. 07butler

Apr 6, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what we've done so far

10. 07butler

Apr 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by