Newbie HELP!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I am getting 2 buff orpington hens tomorrow and I have nothing set up right now! Money is VERY tight so I need to work with what I have first. I am NOT creative so I'm lost. [​IMG] I have these 2 things, both 48".....
    I was thinking to use this one for a run and getting a top (hardware cloth?) on it (48"H- 4'x4'). http://www.dogkennelsandcrates.com/Kennel-Aire-Exercise-Pen.html

I think this one isn't big enough for both hens (48"L x 28"W x 34"H)?? [​IMG] http://www.dogkennelsandcrates.com/Cozy-Crate-Folding-Dog-Crate.html (LINK FIXED)

The "coop will be put inside this shed (which is heated). http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/SHampton06/Family 2008/house-3.jpg What about if I get a 2nd kennel, same size and attach them? What are all the things they will need? I have a double wood box that will be used for their nesting boxes.

ANY and all help will be highly appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I've read that chickens need about 10 sq. ft. per chicken for the run so as close as you can get to that will work. If it's only 8 sq. feet for two hens then that should be ok. You will need a waterer and a feeder as well.

3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    What type of hay will I need? Can I get food grade DE at like Home Depot?

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I think one of the main things to consider when you are setting up your facilities are the type of predators in your area. You want to be sure your design will keep your girls safe and secure. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I think one of your first two links got mis-pasted, they are both identical?

For now, you can either attach your two existing things together and see how they get along in there, or put one hen in one of them and the other in the other, so they are adjacent but can't peck each other... and work *real fast* on building an outdoor run (they are not destined to live their entire lives inside that shed, right?).

Actually if you detach the dog playpen at one point so it is a straight run of fence not a 'loop', you could attach each end to a different point on two adjacent walls of the shed to make a larger total area. You would then need a larger cover over it, of course, as they'd hop right over those panels if bored (and they *will* be bored). No need to use hardwarecloth, plastic mesh would be quite adequate (I assume the shed itself is good 'n' predatorproof?)

Good luck, have fun, get building! LOL,

Pat

6. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I think hawks would be my biggest concern. Since they will be housed inside the shed, they'll be perfectly safe. [​IMG] I just want to be sure they will be safe outside in the run as well.

7. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I'll fix the link.... yes the shed is totally secure. Locks on the side double doors and front door has a lock too.

8. clport

clport Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    Those are not really kennels, they are actually called "exercise pens" and that is what I use temporarily for my outside run until we build the permanent hen yard. I have attached the x-pens to the side of my coop with fencing nails and clips and covered the whole thing with an old screened tent which was useless without the tent frame (lost to a wind storm). I have two five-foot high x-pens and two three-foot high pens. I attached the cover with heavy duty clamps that look kind of like clothes pins (which could also be used if you're not in a really windy area). It looks really unprofessional, but it works. You could use a tarp to cover your x-pens for now until you can come up with a better plan. I wouldn't use hardware cloth because you'd need to build a frame for it since it's so rigid. Will your hens be in that nice shed of yours at night? You do have to give them a really secure place to sleep at night. As far as what else you will need, food and water and table scraps will get you by for now. Once you're ready to upgrade their space, check out the coop section here on BYC for lots of good and cheap ideas. Good luck![​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm a bit confused??? Why do you need a pen inside the playhouse/coop??? Are you just not wanting them to have full access to the entire area?? If that's the case, I'd just tack some tall chicken wire across the section you're wanting for them until you fix the inside however you're planning on fixing it. The doggie corral for outside would work, but you would get more for your money to simply buy some metal posts and put chicken wire or welded wire (very few posts needed with welded wire because it's so stiff) out for run space. You could still cover it w/poulty netting...

Home Depot does not sell food grade DE (at least not in my area). Check w/the feed store where you'll be buying your feed. Ask if they can order if for you if they don't stock it.

Okay...looked at your fixed link. I'll stand by simply sectioning a place off inside the playhouse if you're not wanting them all over it. That crate is okay, and would actually give them about 4 ft. each, UNTIL you put a feeder and a waterer in there. Even the small ones take up quite a bit of space... And it's not like you could take advantage of roosting space because it's not tall enough. Even just making a "doggie corral" out of a loop of chicken wire inside until you fix it the way you want in there would work....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. clport

clport Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    Forgot to answer your DE and hay questions...I'm assuming you mean what hay do you need for the laying boxes? Any grass hay will be OK. Don't get suckered into buy expensive alfalfa or timothy hay or something else. Just your basic hay in the boxes will be OK. DE you can get at a good feed store. Don't buy the pool chemical stuff!! At the feed store, they will probably only have it in big 50 pound bags, but then you won't have to buy it again for years if you only have two hens! You will use it sparingly. You can get your hay at the same feed store, although you'll have to buy a bale of it. That, too, will last you a l-o-n-g time.
    Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by