newbie help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigmama75, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bigmama75

bigmama75 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    I bought some chicks this past Saturday. I bought the only chick starter food that the local feed and supply store had. They make their own food. I later found out that they don't medicate their foods. I was wondering do I need to go out and buy new food or get stuff to put in their water. One died this morning. I do realize that it is normal to loose a chick or two. I did have one chick that seemed to not to be "hyper" like the others and it seems to be that one. I'm not even sure at this point if they were vaccinated. What should I do?
    Thanks.

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    How do their droppings look?

3. bigmama75

bigmama75 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Some of them seem to have regular droppings. I have seen a couple of droppings that seemed bubbly.

4. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok I kinda went through the same thing a while back. It sounds like maybe they are dehydrated. You should boil some eggs and crumble the yolks and offer those to them. Also take some unflavored pedialyte and add some to their water, 1 tbs. to 1 quart. Keep the ones that seem to be lethargic separate from the others so they don't get stepped on and stressed out more. If they won't drink the water with pedialyte in it then put a little sugar in it to interest them. If they perk up and start acting like they are feeling better give them plain yogurt with the highest fat content you can find, which will probably be about 11%, I used Greek yogurt. Offer this stuff to your other chicks so you can hopefully prevent them becoming as bad. The chicks that are doing well, don't let them have the pedialyte water any longer than 24 hrs.
    I hope this helps! Let me know how they do, I know how you feel.
    Good Luck
    Caitlin

5. bigmama75

bigmama75 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Thank you!!
    Has anyone tried Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and vitamin supplement for all domestic poultry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by