1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here, Breed and Sex of my new chickies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JOBOB93, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    Hello all, new member here. I've been reading this site for a while, since we decided to take the chicken raising endeavor. So we just obtained our first 6 chicks from a friend of a friends farm, but we really have no idea what we have. Just thought I would throw this out here to see if anyone could help identify the breeds we have here. I'm guessing they're probably mutts, but don't know for sure. ...And if anyone wants to play the pullet or cockerel game too, I'm all for anyone's guess. I'm sure many of you know a lot better than me as far as what may be a clue. I'm sure it's too early to tell at this point, as they are only about two weeks old, but I will be sure to update this post when they either start crowing or laying to see who was right, hehe. So I'll attempt to post pics here to introduce the ladies(hopefully).

[​IMG]
    Yvaine

[​IMG]
    Khaleesi

[​IMG]
    Calypso

[​IMG]
    Skully

[​IMG]
    Mako

[​IMG]
    Kaliyo

Have fun and thanks in advance for any info... ...oh and here's a pic of my coop in progress, I've received a lot of great ideas from this site, I'll take the time to do a write up on it when I finish it. Made from mostly deckboards that were salvaged from a friends deck rebuild, and other scrap lumber and stuff I had on site, only purchase was the hardware cloth, hinges and latches, and the screws, it's been a fun project so far...

[​IMG]

2. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    oops, i think i posted this in the wrong forum.. ...maybe the moderator can move it to the 'what breed is this' topic... ...oh well... told ya i was a newbie...[​IMG]

3. FrankiesMom

FrankiesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Great coop! Sorry, I'm too new to 'chickening' to make any guesses on breeds/gender. [​IMG] lol

4. LAchickenMESS

LAchickenMESS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    LOVE the coop. What wood did you use? I'm getting to be a victim of chicken math and may have to build another coop soon. We just got a white rock chick that looks like Yvaine. With my first group of chicks, we didn't know one was a roo until he started crowing at about 4 months old. Of course, a more experienced "chickener" might have spotted him earlier. Good luck and enjoy!

5. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    Thanks! ...the structure is built entirely out of 5/4 deck boards that a friend discarded when he re-built his deck. It's still a work in progress but i'm getting there. I'll do a summary of the build on here once I finish it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by