Newbie here, Breed and sex of my new chickies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JOBOB93, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    Hello all, new member here. I've been reading this site for a while, since we decided to take the chicken raising endeavor. So we just obtained our first 6 chicks from a friend of a friends farm, but we really have no idea what we have. Just thought I would throw this out here to see if anyone could help identify the breeds we have here. I'm guessing they're probably mutts, but don't know for sure. ...And if anyone wants to play the pullet or cockerel game too, I'm all for anyone's guess. I'm sure many of you know a lot better than me as far as what may be a clue. I'm sure it's too early to tell at this point, as they are only about two weeks old, but I will be sure to update this post when they either start crowing or laying to see who was right, hehe. So I'll attempt to post pics here to introduce the ladies(hopefully).

[​IMG]
    Yvaine

[​IMG]
    Khaleesi

[​IMG]
    Calypso

[​IMG]
    Skully

[​IMG]
    Mako

[​IMG]
    Kaliyo

Have fun and thanks in advance for any info... ...oh and here's a pic of my coop in progress, I've received a lot of great ideas from this site, I'll take the time to do a write up on it when I finish it. Made from mostly deckboards that were salvaged from a friends deck rebuild, and other scrap lumber and stuff I had on site, only purchase was the hardware cloth, hinges and latches, and the screws, it's been a fun project so far...

[​IMG]

2. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    Mako looks kind of a like a Barred Rock. Hope this helps.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Wrong color legs for a Barred Rock, they would be yellow or yellow with dark washing. I would say a bunch of mixes. Post more pics in 3-4 weeks and get side profile pics too

4. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    OK, 1 week update pics, showing their progression... ...i don't know much about chickens, but i'm starting to suspect they're a bit older than 3 weeks. Can anyone confirm their age? They are growing fast and it's been a fun and interesting experience so far.
    [​IMG]
    Yvainne

[​IMG]
    Khaleesi

[​IMG]
    Calypso

[​IMG]
    Skully

[​IMG]
    Mako

[​IMG]
    Kaliyo

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the 2nd, 4th, and 5th all appear to be cockerels and they look about 3 weeks old

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    skully and mako are both roos for sure, I think they are mixes

7. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    oh noes! :barnie

8. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC

9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop

10. JOBOB93

JOBOB93 New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hamilton, GA
    ok, so here's their 4 week pics, any more convincing signs yet? If you're seeing roo, do mind telling me what you see that makes you think so?... ...just to satisfy my curiosity. They starting to stink up the house too, haha, when can I move this group outside?

[​IMG]
    Yvainne

[​IMG]
    Khaleesi

[​IMG]
    Calypso

[​IMG]
    Skully

[​IMG]
    Mako

[​IMG]
    Kaliyo