Newbie here! Denver native, beekeeper, and *almost* chicken keeper!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Butterprint, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Butterprint

Butterprint Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Hi there, just popping in to introduce myself. I'm a stay-at-home mother of three, married to my high school sweetheart. We don't own chickens quite yet, but it's been a lifelong dream! We currently rent, which is why we don't have chickens yet. We do keep bees, however, and I'd be interested in knowing if there are any other beekeepers around here? But we are getting ready to buy our first home in the next few months here! We are looking to buy in Littleton OR Englewood, Colorado.

First thing we do after signing our closing papers is to get a chicken coop! I can't wait. So I'm here to learn from all of you before we actually take on chicken raising. We plan to just keep maybe 6-8 hens (depends on where we buy) for egg laying. My husband was raised with chickens and his parents have them on their farm. But I'm new to chicken keeping and so I'm loving this website and the plethora of information I've found so far!

Excited to be here :) Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] We have a thread on beekeeping here that you are welcome to join:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/310974/a-bee-thread-for-those-interested-in-beekeeping

I'll bet you can't wait to have your own house. So much better than renting. The Learning Center will be a good place for you to start. There are articles on things like incubating eggs, raising chicks, choosing breeds, keeping the flock healthy and much more. Are you thinking of building or buying a coop? If you're building there are some lovely designs in the Coops section. And the fun part, choosing a breed. There are info on all the more common and some not-so-common breeds in the Breeds section. Have fun!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your future chickens! :)

4. JeneaneBee

JeneaneBee New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Near Denver, Colorado
    HI, there! I am also in Denver..(well, Centennial) and am also a beekeeper. Started with bees because we couldn't have chickens yet. :) We're getting finally chickens in the spring. So excited I could pee my pants. Good luck with everything!

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Good luck with the new home and your new flock.

6. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Glad to know that you're already finding this site to be helpful.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Butterprint

Oct 10, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thank you so much for all the great info! The thread on beekeeping is awesome, I appreciate the help in finding it :)

My husband and I have been debating/arguing whether or not to buy a pre-made coop or to build one ourselves. At this point, I suspect he might win! Building a coop is a daunting task, but he has me convinced. Either way, I'm excited and this will be fun!

What a wonderful community for chicken keepers. Thanks for the warm welcome ;-)

10. Butterprint

Oct 10, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Yay, another Coloradan here! I'm so excited to get chicks this spring too. I can hardly contain myself! Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by