Newbie here from Iowa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IAFarmGirl, Oct 19, 2012.

1. IAFarmGirl

IAFarmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    South Central Iowa
    I just joined the group today and thought I would introduce myself! I live in Iowa on 10 acres my husband and I purchased the summer of 2008 shortly after we got married. This is the second marriage for both of us and it has been great! We have 2 quarter horses, 2 border collies, 4 cats, and quite a bit of wildlife. Our 10 acres is heavily wooded with a VERY large front yard. The house sits in the middle of the property with the shop and horse barn at the back of the property.

I guess I decided to get some chickens after a pretty successful garden this year. I just couldn't give the produce away fast enough and some of it went to waste. The horses can't eat most of the things we grow, the dogs weren't interested in anything except playing in the water when we had to supplement, and the cats were only interested in the grasshoppers. I also had a bad infestation of Colorado Potato Bugs and was not interested in using insecticides. So the answer to my garden problems was obviously CHICKENS!!!

My husband helped me build the coop this fall and the pen is made of chainlink that we will eventually reenforce with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It sits at the back of the property with the other buildings and under a large hickory tree. It will be insulated and we are adding electric to it. We have a water hydrant within 5 feet of the building. We are planning on ordering our chicks next spring and I wanted to pretty much have everything ready for them. I really hate doing things at the last minute.

So now we are waiting for spring to get here and then we will order about 50 chicks with half being meat and half for layers. I am excited for spring 2013 to get here!!

Thanks for developing such a GREAT website!! I have had chickens before but it has been many, many years. I look forward to dusting off old memories and learning new theories for raising chickens.

Cindy

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi Cindy. Where abouts in Iowa are you from.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, IAFarmGirl, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us. Congratulations on your new start in life.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and :welcome So glad you joined us!!! :weee

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome from Kentucky. We're very happy you joined!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by