Newbie here, HELLO!! I hope my first post doesn't sound silly, I need opinions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bobby Ray, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bobby Ray

Bobby Ray New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Well first off I want to thank everyone here for being so helpful thus far. I've been lurking behind the scenes for a while now gathering some great info, this site is so helpful!

I started my brooder last weekend and have around 15 chicks, all mixed breed, these will be my layers. I will get some meat birds in a couple of weeks but for now I'm focusing on the build of the coop.

I was hoping to get some opinions on a couple of things.

1. I was thinking about setting aside a closed of section of the coop for younger birds that I'll be introducing to the flock, this section will have it's own area in the coop and a portion of the run, from what I gather I need to keep the younger birds separated for a while till they get bigger?

2. I also was wondering about letting the birds free range, I have a complete fenced in yard and I'm willing to put up more fencing to keep them confined to one area of the pasture, will I be ok with letting them roam if I clip their wings or will they fly over a 4 foot fence?

3. When raising cornish x is it ok to keep all the birds together or keep my layers and meat birds separate? I hope that didn't sound ridiculous but I couldn't find a answer anywhere.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Bobby Ray

2. Bobby Ray

Bobby Ray New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    OK so I had a typo, my fence is 5 feet so if I clipped one side of their flight feathers would that be enough to keep them from flying over the fence?

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I suppose it depends on your cluckers. I have Red Sex-Links and their run is divided in half by a 3' mesh fence and they don't offer to go over it even though they spend most of the day in the other half and seem to prefer it.

The real problem isn't going to be keeping the chickens in, but the predators out.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. Bobby Ray

Bobby Ray New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    thanks for the feedback, I'm so undecided on the matter...I guess I just need to dive into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by