Newbie here...I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Jul 11, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    HEY everyone!

I'm very new to the incubating/hatching world. Have only tried once, and failed miserably. first mistake, we had the incubator in our shop outside, the temps went up and down too much. second, didn't control the humidity. we had a lot of eggs that were not fertile so we were left with about 15 that had embryos. all but 2 of those died in the egg before hatching. the first chick didn't even try to break out until day 23. she hatched, but was SOAKED...she couldn't dry off. then the 2nd one that tried to hatch, died before she was out. all the others after a few more days...we broke them, and they were all dead inside. some VERY small and under developed. some reg size but dead and soaked w/ a lot of fluid inside. the one that lived, i took her out of the incubator after 24 hrs, and had her under a lamp. but, there had some issues. couldn't stand. couldn't open her eyes. and she had a clear fluid bubble on her neck. she lived for 2 days, and died last night. [​IMG]

Ok, now that everyone hates me bc i failed so bad. I'm here looking for help. I've read everything that I can to make this time go better. got the bator inside a controlled room. got a thermometer and a humidity thermometer.

PLEASE any advice would be appreciated. [​IMG]

oh, and it's a foam incubator.

Nicole

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Don't feel bad [​IMG] We all have to learn and sadly theres bound to be some casualties along the way. Sounds like your humidity was too high and maybe a temp problem too. If you can get your temp stable thats one thing done. I had similar problems with my last hatches I'm setting again next week and I'm going to try a dry incubation this time that might be worth a look [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    [​IMG] just make sure the sun doesn't shine on it directly as that will mess up your temps calibrate your hydrometer and read all the sticky's up at the start of these threads and keep notes you will hatch eggs and we do not think you are a chicken murderer because we've all made mistakes and learned from them you learn by doing and now we have too many chickens because hatching eggs is a sickness [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    so we've had the incubator setting all day trying to get temps right. Does it matter if the temp goes up or down just a few degrees? and if the humidity goes up and down just a couple degrees? or does it have to be stable 100% of the time? i'm so nervous about this temp thing now since i watched my little chick die [​IMG]

Nicole

5. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I only worry when mine goes over 101.5 but it has a fan if yours doesn't then 103 but the less you fiddle with the settings the better off you are and I let my humidity drop to 25% before I refill the water when I candle I know if I need to adjust are your eggs shipped or your own?

6. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    they are our own eggs. the temp went up to 102 overnight. the instructions for the bator say that 99-103 degrees was ok. it seems like everyone on here keeps it a bit cooler then that. whats the highest you all would let it get to?

can you wash the eggs before you put them in the bator? just with water?

Nicole

7. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I wouldn't wash the eggs with water if I wash mine I use Tek Trol that's only if they are really soiled if you are using your eggs only use the nice ones does your incubator have a fan? Follow the directions with the incubator they don't want you to fail. Your temps seem okay to me after you get a hatch you will know if it was too high until then don't worry eggs can take a spike just not for hours. Most of my eggs hatch on time sometimes 12 hrs early I don't think that's a bad thing with my incubator I cannot adjust the temp it was pre-set when it was cold I had to keep it in a insulated box because my house temps were 65 or less now it doesn't matter I'll find out what happens when it gets 104 or better that's what's forecast later this week...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by