Newbie here...Is my BSL molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8WarEagleChicks, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    I am still learning so bear with me... My BSL pullet who is 8 months old seems to be losing feathers and she is not laying eggs anymore. I notice the feathers in the coop mostly. She has lost all the feathers on her face and most on her neck. I have looked closely at her skin and don't see any bugs (although I am not sure what a mite would look like [​IMG] .) I keep DE all over the yard and in the coop/nest boxes. She acts normal, except for the not laying eggs part. She eats and drinks fine. One of the other hens has taken on the role of "rooster" and occasionally jumps on the three other hens for a few seconds and bites their necks. I don't think she would account for all the facial feathers missing. You can see all the pin feathers coming in where the other have fallen out.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That looks like molting. Since she is only 8 months she won't go likely go through a full molt. Just a mini molt till next fall. And even then some chickens never do the full molting thing.

Here's some info about parasites:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Imp

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    looks like she is molting to me....

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Looks like molting to me. I have several going through it right now.

Probably not a bad idea to give her a little extra protein right now...I use calf manna, but there's also Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (you'll see that shortened to BOSS in lots of posts), mealworms, and plain yogurt. The extra protein helps with new feather production.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    She looks to he multi.g to me. Nothing to worry about there.

7. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    Thank you all for the feedback! I thought that might be what she is doing ...but needed to know for sure. Hope she doesn't loose too many before the real cold comes!

8. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    looks like she is molting, but as she is young, i doubt it is a full molt,

luke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by