1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Newbie here...Just built myself a new brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lawless116, Aug 6, 2018.

1. lawless116

lawless116 In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2018
    Hi Everyone! Im new to chicken raising but I was talked into it. I have since bought 6 baby orpingtons and they have been so much fun watching them grow. I have had them in a smaller tote but I felt like they needed more room. This weekend I took some old wood I had laying in my garage and built them a new brooder box and now they are so happy! Who knew this would be so much fun!? :)

IMG_7065.jpg 55520122805__90FE0A30-B06F-4985-A13D-5DF8546D1D91.JPG

2. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Crowing 9 Years

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Welcome to chickenry... you are in for it now.... those are nice looking chicks. Are they Blue Orpingtons or Lavender orpingtons as I have seen pictures of. They are beautiful birds.

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  3. lawless116

Aug 6, 2018
    I believe they are lavender. I picked up from a straight run. I think I have 5 hens and 1 rooster based on watching them. We shall see if i am right. lol

4. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Crowing 9 Years

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Lavender orpingtons are beautiful chickens. And great layers too. Good luck with your chicks. Your brooder is nice too.

5. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Enabler

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow
    Congrats on the adorable littles and great job on the brooder. You may, however, wish to consider building a top for it. Your chicks will be fluttering around in there before you know it and they'll flutter right up and out.:)
    Also they may enjoy some low parches as well. :love
    Good luck in your new adventure and I hope you enjoy the site!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Pretty chicks. They will enjoy the extra room. Have you given them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn yet? That plus grit and Poultry Nutri Drench are my "must haves" when starting chicks.

And, Welcome to BYC!!!

7. lawless116

Aug 6, 2018
    thanks! I hadn't heard about the sod thing. I sometimes go put them in the backyard and walk around a bit haha.

8. lawless116

Aug 6, 2018
    Thanks for the welcome. It's been such a joy! I plan to make a top for it soon. Also gonna make some small bars about 3-4" off from the bottom to get them used to sitting on them.

9. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Enabler

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    :thumbsup

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Sod benefits: Beneficial bacteria and fungi to jump start their digestive and immune systems. (best to initiate during the first 2 weeks while their perinatal immunity is at it's strongest) Exposes them to the soil pathogens while their immunity is at it's strongest. YES, THIS IS A GOOD THING!!!!! Gives them first grit, minerals, first greens, dust bathing opportunities, hopefully some worms, insects and seeds, and plenty of chickie games including "tidbit scrimmage" and King of the mountain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: