Newbie here. Just trying to figure out about scratching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dcourington, Aug 19, 2013.

1. dcourington

dcourington Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Milton, FL
    I just got some Jersey Giant Hens last Sunday. They were pretty torn up from being in with several roosters and had many feathers missing and some raw spots on them also. They seem to be healing up somewhat and I know it will take time. I have noticed though that they are scratching around their necks with their toes and have pulled feathers out scratching so much. Is this due to mites or other parasites on them? I am not sure of treating them with powders or anything since they have so much exposed raw skin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look them over closely especially around the neck and under the vent at the base of the feathers for any lice or mite eggs. If they have them and you don't treat them they will get worse. Sevin dust or permethrin dust are 2 popular remedies. Do you know their age? Hens around 18 months old and each year after will molt. Your hens could be starting their molt, but they may grow back the feathers in those bare spots after a molt. Here is a good site for pictures of lice and mites: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

3. dcourington

dcourington Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Milton, FL
    Thanks Eggcessive. I had been reading about the use of sevin and will be doing that with my girls. As for the age, they are about 16 months old now, according to the previous owner, so some of it might be molting, but I am getting eggs every day from them. I have 5 and am getting average 3 eggs each day. Not bad considering they have only been in the new home for a week now. Thanks again for the help and the link to a very interesting and new site to read about the backyard flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by