Newbie here looking for more advice and help . . .

Mamajewels

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Sagle, Idaho
So, . . I have taken to heart the comments I received from my intro post, this morning I spent 2 hours putting this little enclosure together in hopes of allowing my new little flock to get some "REAL" fresh air and stretch their legs. HOWEVER it hit me like a tittle wave "OMG" ! Do Chickens Fly?? Can they get out of this little play yard I'm trying to create?? I think I need some more help and advice. Its 4 feet, I'm 5'5" which creates a little problem not to mention the ground is frozen!! How do I do this, inexpensively and by myself ??

And please forgive me, I'm still learning how to navigate this website! Posting pictures, from computer rather than phone is a pain~ And keeping my posts to 420 characters, . . . well, I'm a talker so that's not easy either! LOL!!

Attachments

• Enclosure 1.jpg
    Enclosure 1.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Enclosure 2.jpg
    Enclosure 2.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 20
I think 4 ft seems tall enough, although it would depend on your chickens. Mine never fly over 3 ft but I know some breeds, like Leg horns are more flighty than others. What breed do you have? If you need to, then you can use the wire you used to build the enclosure and make a roof\layer of the wire on top of the enclosure. That would also protect your chickens more from animals like hawks.

thank you~! I was just getting ready to post an update. However in answer to your question, I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Plymouth Barred Rock an Ameracauna and 2 Buff Orpingtons (My personal favorites) I inherited these girls :) And the coop

No problem! Just so you know, I am a relatively new chicken owner, so my advice probably isn't as good as the more experienced chicken owners here on BYC, but if I was in your situation I would probably build the roof on the enclosure made out of the wire like I said before. I just read that on average, chickens can fly 4' to 6' if that helps.

Ya! That's what I was afraid of!! Check out my new post in the forum as I am re-learning computer too!

My daughter thinks I would be okay to just let them roam. However I saw 2 coyote's the other day down my driveway and across the street but still they are about!! We live in the country, so predators are a main concern. I have no eyes on the girls, meaning I can't see them from my kitchen or living room. They are up by my garage, no widow unless I sit in my spear bedroom watching them and that just isn't convenient

Chickens can "fly." Depending on the breed, unless its a cornish, this might only be a few feet or 10 ft.

My brahmas often fly up into their elevated coop (32" off the ground). I had a new rooster that tried to roost on the bed rails of my old truck about 50"+ off the ground.

Another that trie to roost on the roof of my woodshed (12ft).
They dont fly horizontally so much other than in excitement or fleeing and they rarely exceed 2ft off the ground, but they will "fly" upwards to roost.

My juveniles have flown at a height of 6ft for roughly 30yrds before.

Sorry to ramble but 4ft may not be enough if they should be startled ir become excited about something and its no deterrent for predators.

I doubt that your fence will keep any serious predator out for long. Your birds might stay inside it, but it's not really safe for them.
Frozen ground makes fencing really difficult! Electric fencing is excellent against many ground predators, and at least netting works to keep out raptors.
Most of us start out underestimating what it takes to keep our birds safe!
Mary

I doubt that your fence will keep any serious predator out for long. Your birds might stay inside it, but it's not really safe for them.
Frozen ground makes fencing really difficult! Electric fencing is excellent against many ground predators, and at least netting works to keep out raptors.
Most of us start out underestimating what it takes to keep our birds safe!
Mary

I hear ya! Thank you!! Can't hardly wait for spring so I can really "see" where I want the girls. Where they are now is temporary, but even still, I feel they need roaming room! Spring is still a good 4 months away

Back
Top Bottom