Newbie here. Need help sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Newchickmomma24, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Newchickmomma24

Newchickmomma24 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Burton,Mi.
    So I have a favorelle that I am not sure if it's a roo or hen?? Also a Polish I am not sure on too. I'm going to try to add pics. Thanks in Advance and I'll try to get better pics. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC. Only professional "vent sexers" can determine the gender of a young chick. It is too dangerous for a novice to do. But their are ways of guessing. You can only know if your chick is rooster when they are around 4 months old. They will have a typical rooster plumage and the hens will lay eggs. Around 6 months roos will crow and their won't be any doubt about their gender then. In the meantime you can guess off of personslity and size. I knew pretty soon which of my marans was a rooster because he was so much larger than the other two. Roos usually act more dominate at a young age and "cocky". How old are your chicks?

3. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Also I think polish roosters have long pointed streamer feathers on their crest. And a hen has more rounded feathers around her crest.

4. Newchickmomma24

Newchickmomma24 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Burton,Mi.
    For some reason the other pics I posted did not show up. I'll try to add them now.
    Oh and my Favorelle is around 1.5 months led and my polish is about the same age as well. [​IMG][/IMG]

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    That my friend is a Favorelle rooster.
    Female would feather out differently then males do on this breed. A lot of black plumage is a great indication of a rooster.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Favorelles are wonderful, and he's going to be very handsome! Mary

1 person likes this.
  7. Newchickmomma24

Newchickmomma24 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Burton,Mi.
    [​IMG]

8. Newchickmomma24

Newchickmomma24 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Burton,Mi.
    I wanted to show my top had too. Let's hope this is a hen. I believe it is about 1 month old.

[​IMG]

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I dont know about the polish, however my guess is the Favrelle is a male. I could be wrong but comb and coloring look male. He will be very handsome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by