Newbie Here Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pookie_Momma, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Pookie_Momma

Pookie_Momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Tacoma, Washington
    Hi all I am a Newbie to the byc and hatching.

My issue that I am having is that I woke up a couple hours ago to a healthy happy chirpy baby but it is not drying.

I have not changed my temp or humidity due to the fact that I have 24 silkie / cochin / mix eggs in with the piping ones.

What can I do to help it dry? I had two hatch yesterday but they unfortunately were very lethargic and sleepy and this morning they passed.

what should I do to help this energtic little one.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I can't answer you, buy mine already hatched, but post this under the incubating thread and see what happens...good luck!

3. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    just be patient. if your incubator temp is set correctly your hatched chick will dry out eventually. they take a long time before they start to look like fluffy little balls and she may have only just hatched. I would do nothing.

Just sit back and wait. don't be tempted to open the bator and whisk her out, she is safe in the warm with the others and opening the bator may cause problems for the others still hatching.

when i say ages- i mean hours and hours before they look all cute, so don't worry.

good luck

4. Pookie_Momma

Pookie_Momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Tacoma, Washington
    Thank you I appreciate it. I tried posting in other thread but I dont think they want to answer my silly questions.

So nervous about the hatchings,,, it is like I am waiting for a grandchild to be born!

5. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Your doing fine [​IMG] I know its so hard to wait, especially when you see that first crack in the egg......[​IMG]

6. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    no question is silly, everyone has a first time. You will be amazed the amount of things you will learn. I have only been at this since february but feel like i have learnt more in the last 5 months than i have in a lifetime.

Enjoy, and ask away, in a couple of months you'll be giving out the benefits of your experience that's what is so great about this forum. Hope the little one is doing well, does she have any company yet? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by