Newbie here...run all done! PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LovinCountryLife, May 18, 2010.

1. LovinCountryLife

LovinCountryLife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    we just recently moved to a house in the country and they had converted a shed into a coops so we just basically added the run but I can already see I want to make it bigger for more chickens.....uh oh...I'm hooked!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and some of my chickens:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok that's all [​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Very nice set up and a nice variety of birds. [​IMG] from Washington.

3. LovinCountryLife

LovinCountryLife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Hi there! I do have a question. See the big main door that the chickens use to go into the coop? Should we cover the top part like maybe have a half door sort of thing so that I can still get out into the run when I need to? I didn't know if that was letting to much breeze in there.

4. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Thank you for sharing, have to admit I am a bit jealous [​IMG] It looks really nice, I'd love to be able to have such a large coop.

I'll leave answering your question to someone who knows about chickens!

5. chicken911

chicken911 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Love it and the newfie!

6. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Welcome from an Alabama newbie!
    That looks great....and nice-looking flock you have there!

7. Tap Dancing Chickie

Tap Dancing Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Perry County PA
    Greetings Nuwbie, I extend a warm WELCOME from PA.[​IMG] You have a very nice looking group of birds there. Good job on the coop too!!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I would go a step further and actually cut them a pop door over beside the people door entrance and install a real door for you guys (unless there's one there I'm not seeing?). Based on vegetation growth in your pics, I'd guess that you guys get winters??? If so, then you don't want winter winds gusting in there. And even now when it rains hard you don't want bedding getting wet.

What a sweet set-up to have for your new place!! And I love the picture of the one chicken standing in front of the grill/light cover/whatever that it...at first I thought it was a "picture" picture...lol.

9. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. If that was my coop, I'd put a full door on that opening and cut a hole for a pop door either in the bottom of the human door or somewhere on that wall. Since you've used poultry wire for your run, you'd get more predator protection by being able to close the coop up securely at night. A second line of defense if, say, a raccoon tears through the wire. Door doesn't have to be fancy - a slab of 1" plywood, perhaps? Another idea would be to make that a Dutch door. The top would remain closed unless you wanted to go into the run. The bottom door could serve as your chicken's door. Opened in the morning and closed after they've gone in the coop for the night.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice... but all those EEs and now Green or Blue eggs???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by