Newbie here! Second egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KNelly, Dec 1, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    I just got my first egg yesterday from the lovely Amelia my Brown Leghorn. How long did it take until you got your second egg? All it took was 1 egg to get me addicted!!! Now I'm waiting crazier than I did before I got my first egg. I don't even want to eat the first egg until I see another one!!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    All my hens started late so they laid within two days. But if they start early they sometimes don't lay for another three or five days.

3. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks for the reply @MountainPeeps She ended up taking 1 day break before she laid her second egg, and no break between egg 2 and egg 3. I'm honestly shocked. I even made a bet with my husband that it would be a few days before she laid again. What a good girl I have. :)

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Congrats on the eggs! It is an exciting time. My seven pullets are starting to lay. I only had three for a while, but I pulled SEVEN eggs from the coop yesterday - of course, two of them were laid by my older hens, so that means at least 5 of my pullets are laying! Two are cochins (that are laying) two are Brahamas and 1 is a RIR. I can tell by who I've seen on the nest and what the eggs look like. I'm hoping for another big haul today. I will check when I get home from work.

5. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014

Thank you! My friends and family totally don't get the excitement. I have 10 chickens and only my 28w brown leghorn is laying. I have 1 EE that is 30w and 2 EEs who are 22w. The rest of the girls have a few weeks to go. I can't wait to get my first colored egg!!! I have never had a fresh egg before and scared to eat the ones I've got so far. It's taken so long to get just 3 eggs I don't want to ruin it by emptying my basket lol.

6. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I understand. Wait until you give some eggs to your relatives, then they will be the ones who are excited! My Mother-in-Law was so disappointed when I did not bring her any eggs last time we visited them. I was down to one hen who was laying (the others were molting) so I did not have any eggs to spare. When they all start laying, you'll have eggs coming out of your ears! Go ahead and eat your eggs. They taste SO much better than the store bought eggs! You'll never want to eat a store bought egg again after you've had some of these!

I also have an EE hen who is not yet laying, so I am checking for those eggs as well. The last EE hen I had laid the prettiest blue eggs, but she was taken by a predator. I was so mad!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by