Newbie here (silkies, isa browns, guinea fowl, muscovys, geese)

farmergrace

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
My name is Grace and to start 2021 off I came into possession of a number of birds.

3 x Silkies (1 x rooster)
10 x Isa Brown (all hens)
1 x Rhode Island (rooster - came with Isa Browns)
5 x Guinea Fowl (genders unknown)
6 x Muscovy Duck (all males)
4 x Geese (genders unknown)

Almost all of these birds have unknown pasts, including; age, gender and family tree. They were given to my partner by a farmer who was looking to retire before the Easter holiday. The farmer didn't care for the birds, used them purely for eggs and meat. We did our research, largely using this platform, and successfully attended to all their medical problems. However, we're still trying to sort out other problems.

Our two primary problems at the moment are:

1. Despite the Rhode Island rooster coming with the 10 x Isa Browns, the Isa's keep pulling the roosters feathers out.
They still allow him to mate with them (literally no fight whatsoever) but whenever they flock around the rooster they all gradually start pecking/pulling at him. He also doesn't fight it.

Currently, we have separated the rooster from the flock to allow his feathers to grow back. Hoping once his feathers grow back and the hens have boosted their protein intake the pecking/pulling will stop. Any other suggestions? Feel bad having to keep him all by himself for so long. Despite the pecking/pulling they all enjoy each other's company.

2. I've witnessed strange *mating* behaviour from our geese. As mentioned, we have 4 x geese and are clueless on age, gender and family tree. We definitely have 1 x male goose and 2 x female geese... but the last one is a mystery. Our male, Big Bruce, has been seen riding on top of all 3 other geese, Gabby, Lucy and Goldie... But just today, I witnessed Goldie (our smallest goose) riding on top of Big Bruce.

Did not appear to be the traditional "neck fighting" you see from males v males, it looked no different to when Big Bruce is clearly mating. So we're confused about Goldies gender... Is it a boy trying to dominate Big Bruce? Or do geese swap positions? 😂

I've never seen Big Bruce or Goldie fight. After the incident, Big Bruce had a thorough wash, much more thorough than the females after mating. He was doing full backflips / backward rolly-pollies in the water. But once he was done washing, all 4 geese had a siesta together - no problems or aggression.

In summary: seen Big Bruce mounting Goldie and, vice-versa, Goldie mounting Big Bruce. No way I mistook which goose is which, each goose has a significantly different print. Need info on whether Goldie is either a male or a female and whether I need to consider separating geese.

Any advice would be appreciated! 🐥

Last edited:
Hi Grace. Welcome to BYC! You really jumped in to poultry keeping.
I'm sure you have checked your rooster over very well for lice? Some roosters are just mild mannered and the hens love to "groom" them. How bad is the feather loss? Is he secluded in an area where he can see the hens? Does he look to be younger than the hens?
I don't have geese but sometimes dominate roosters will mount submissive ones. The submissive rooster only breeds when the dominate one isn't looking. It is all about the pecking order.
Best of luck with your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom