Newbie here thinking about getting a couple of chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shannon84, Mar 17, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi, I'm new to chickens , I have a stray buff ophinton rooster that randomly showed up to my house last year, needless to say I fell in love with him and I got two hens off my dad to keep Franklin (my rooster) company. So I've had these three adult chickens for almost a year. I'm getting chicken fever seeing all these baby chicks in feed stores. So my question is are those feed store chicks good to buy or should I order from a hatchery? I only want two more...Thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Actually, feed stores get their chicks from hatcheries (unless it's a small store that has a deal with a local rancher/farmer). I found that getting from a hatchery to be the better deal after buying seven Easter Egger pullets from a feed store only to have one turn out to be a Black Australorp and one decided it would rather grow up to be a rooster (I named him Chaz, after Chaz Bono [​IMG] ). I know someone will chime in and say that sexing isn't an exact science and that sometimes happens. But since the BA was misplaced I cannot even be sure the same didn't happen with the rooster and he might not even be an EE! With a hatchery you can at least be 99% sure that they will all be the same breed at least, even if the wrong gender sneaks by, and many hatcheries will buy back the boo-boos.

If you do go the feed store route at least be sure it's set up so that the chicks cannot be handled by the public. That way you're less likely to suffer the same mix up and there will be a lower chance of the chicks contracting any diseases from the constant handling.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. Penguino1

Penguino1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    How far are you from the hatchery? If you're extremely far, I would just go to the feed store, as the mortality rate is much lower when buying from the store because you can control the shipping conditions and heat them up in your car.

4. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh okay! That's good to know, so should I try not to handle the chicks so much myself when I have them here at home? I know the feed store said they don't have their Merricks shots (spelling not sure on that)is that shot a must have? Awe I'm glad you kept the rooster and I love his name [​IMG] cute! I was wanting two buff Orpington hens. But I'm liking those barred rock one too! Have you had either one of those type of hens?

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm not sure if I have a hatchery near me. I need to google that....Yeah I don't like the idea of them being shipped I would be traumatized if I opened the box to find a dead baby chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by