Newbie ? here... Ummmm....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buzymom13, Jan 21, 2011.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Ok...so I started w/7 eggs. Have thrown out 3 so far. 2 ended w/blood rings and 1 wasn't fertile. Of the remaining 4 ....I KNOW 1 is growing and doing well because I can see it developing. Then there are 2 that look ok but they are dark shelled and it's hard to see into it. And then the one is a darker tan shell ....I think I see movement.

Ok...so here's my question... (sorry to take so long w/this)

Is it possible to have more growth in one egg then the others? Like can one egg be developing faster? When I look at the 3 brown ones they look like the lighter colored one did a couple days ago. I'm curious. This is my first hatch and I haven't had a lot of experience...so what can you tell me BYCers' ? You guys have always worked out so well for me.

thankx!!! [​IMG]

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    First how old are they

3. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Sorry I go thru that whole long story and forgot to say...I'm on day 13... Thankx! :O)

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    In the others, is it dark inside at all any dark spots? Or does the light shine through complety?

5. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    There are definite dark areas... and I can see "some" veining...but I can't see WELL into the shell to see and I thought I saw movement but I'm not sure.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    If they dont stink Id leave them, dont take your chances Sounds like there forming. Wait tell a day before lock down and id candle them really quick, By then if they are formed good you should see mostly dark and the air sack should be light, And if you have a pretty good light you will most likely see movement

Good luck,
    Elizabeth, (happyhens44)

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It is possible especially at that age - if one side of the incubator is cooler than another the chicks will develop slower there & may be a day to 2 between the hatches.

8. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    Thankx guys! Whew!!! [​IMG]

9. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    Good luck! Hope they all hatch,Sandy:)

10. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Dont throw any eggs away unless they have a crack in them before they start hatching [​IMG] Unless the stink really bad Thats what i do. Happy Hatching !!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by