1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here, Wanted to thank you all

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rae_37066, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rae_37066

Rae_37066 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Gallatin, TN
    [​IMG], I have been lurking on your pages for about 8 weeks now and wanted to thank you for all your help. You have walked me through my first six weeks with the 25 chicks that came in the mail. I haven't lost one.

They are now in their coop that I made bigger on your advise to build bigger!!! from the get go. so they have a 10 x 10 coop now with plans for a 5-6 ft x 30 outside run. (still in the planning stage but the coop was important after the 5th week when the chickens started smelling because the wood chips was getting kicked into the water, The plastic water bottle would get a a fowl odor. (pun intended).

I started them on starter/ grower and grit tonight. and their first ever scratch. they went crazy for it even the roo's were eating out of my hand. I was supposed to get 25 pullets but ended up with 21 pullets and 4 roo's. They were kinda ticked off because of the grit. I put it in a feeder that was already there and put up a new feeder with the food and they all thought it was the food at first and ran over and started chomping away and then started making noises and complaining I guess.

I have a question about the grit though, Will the chickens understand what it is for?
    and The oyster shells are for after they start laying? for the calcium?
    The scratch at night to keep them warmer?

Your cheap brooder ideas were great. I already miss the chicks humming that came from the brooder. they kinda purred instead of peeping.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, hello, and [​IMG] !!! Glad to hear the babies are doing great!!!

3. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    hey nice to have u here this place is awsome [​IMG]

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I miss having fuzzy butts [​IMG] have to order more SOON
    [​IMG] I have learned so much since being here, its a great place full of wonderfull people and plenty of knowlrdge about all kinds of stuff.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Welcome!!!
    I am not sure but evidently they do because the free range ones seem too. For the young ones I mix a little in with all the foods except the grower. I have some 9 weeks old now. Glad yours are doing well. They sure grow fast don't they? What kind are they. Mine are BO's Jean

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:WELCOME!

They will figure out the grit and oyster shells.

Oyster shells are for after laying and is for calcium, they'll figure it out.

Scratch is for night to keep warmer, in the meaning that it is a high calorie food so they can store more for long cold nights in their crops.

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Glad you joined us!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

9. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to the best chicken site there is!!!

Glad that you have already gotten some good advice!!

Cindy

10. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by