Newbie Here! *waves*

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MoosePijamas, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    Hello everyone!! Wanted to introduce myself before I start being needy of your knowledge.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    These are my first chickens. A boyfriend's brother had a brooding chicken (had to google what brooding was) and since they don't have a rooster, nothing was going to come of her sitting on the eggs. I suggested we should find some fertilized eggs and to my surprise, the idea was agreed upon. I bought 8 fertilized eggs and waited until nightfall. The brooding chicken quickly dismissed the idea and even kicked the eggs out of the nest. I felt bad and bought an incubator and 25 days later, 3 out of the 8 have hatched. Considering I had no idea what I was doing, I'm very happy with my results.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    3. Frankie is the oldest by 28 hours. Then Pickle and Giraffe were born hours apart.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Americuana (?)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Googling how to incubate chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I like to play the piano. I've been doing that for 17 years now. I'm teaching myself "Somewhere over the rainbow" on the ukulele. I have a cat name Peaches who "hates" me. She is a rescue who showed up at my door with 5 kittens. All kittens were de-wormed, spayed and neutered before they went to loving homes. I like to watch the deer in the yard and I like to watch Game of Thrones. Except the yucky parts, I cover my eyes for that.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I just want to thank everyone on this site. It answered so many questions and I've been coming here for about a month without joining the site. I was hoping I would never have to make an account, but here I am in need of some help with one of my chicks. You guys are awesome. I have been delighted how wonderful and helpful the chicken community has been on the internet and even in my hometown.

rjohns39, N F C, Latitude33 and 5 others like this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    rjohns39 likes this.
  3. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Hi, and welcome! Glad you joined us. There are so many threads, and lots of well informed enthusiasts in the BYC community. You will fit right in. :welcome

4. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Love your screen name! @KikisGirls should be along to post some helpful info for you!

rjohns39 and Latitude33 like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock :ya

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under MoosePijamas :frow Welcome & Congratulations! [Luv your username!]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your bubs, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. I've posted in the "emergency" section because I have a baby that is need of your knowledge. I hope to use this community in the future for sharing funny stories and hanging out with fellow chickeneers. :)

rjohns39 and Teila like this.
  8. Dayrel

Dayrel Songster

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC. Hope you get the help you need for your chick.

You mentioning learning "Somewhere over the rainbow" on the ukulele reminded me of IZ's version. I presume you've seen it, but for anyone who hasn't, it is excellent:

rjohns39 and KikisGirls like this.
  9. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    That's the one! It's stupid I know....but I sang it to the chicks when they were incubating and hatching. It gave them something to listen to and it gave me a non-judgmental audience to practice my 1 month ukulele skillz. lol

rjohns39, N F C, Dayrel and 1 other person like this.
  10. N F C

N F C Marbles...I found mine!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It's so nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: