Newbie here... What do I feed my chickens? Feeling overwhelmed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrygirl1326, Aug 11, 2014.

1. countrygirl1326

countrygirl1326 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I am a first time chicken owner and I've been reading past threads on what people are feeding their chickens to get good egg production and what they need in their diets etc.. and I feel pretty braindead now and want some opinions on what to feed my chickens.

Last Wednesday I bought 6 laying hens (3 red sexlinks, 1 americana, and 2 buff orpington mixes.) They are about 16 months old. I have been giving them watermelon and squash from the garden and some 3-way feed and hog feed a lady gave me. I have been getting 3 eggs a day.

I would like to feed them organically, but as cheap as possible and no gmo. I have read that giving them game bird pellets increases egg production greatly, but I don't know if I'm supposed to give them other stuff with it? Do I have to give them "grit or oyster shell" I have been feeding them egg shells, but I'm not really sure what that is taking the place of... was just told to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I have been feeding my four hens eggmaker from family farm I buy it from walmart for 10 or 11 dollars per 40 pound bag

3. countrygirl1326

countrygirl1326 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Is that organic?

4. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I don't think it is or it would probably be more expensive but it works great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by