Newbie here with Questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theracenut, Nov 21, 2010.

1. theracenut

theracenut New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Lexington SC
    Hello to all.....

I am new to BYC and chickens. I am enjoying my new found hobby and hope to be getting little rewards from it daily. I have 5 hens that are about 10 weeks old. One Barred Rock, Two Black Stars, One Red Star and One Easter egger the lady I got it from called it that I'm sure there is another name. I have a few questions which will lead to more I'm sure.

I am using the Deep Litter Method and read about using DE for moisture and lice/parisite control, and am confused about how much to use. My coup is 4 X 4 with wood floor so how much DE should I use 1/2 cup...1 cup...more...less?

I have seen pictures of fake eggs and golf balls in nesting boxes. I assume this is to encourage hens to lay eggs...or to show them where to lay eggs. My question around that is why and how soon?

Right now I am feeding them Flock Raiser and scratch feed, they also get bread and veggy scraps from the kitchen. The ground they get the scratch from is sandy soil do they still need grit and if so at what age?
    When should they be changed over to a laying food? And When should calcium be added?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.......Bud

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

you have about 8 weeks or so to go before switching to layer.at 18 weks we go with starter/grower and oyster shell for the ones that are getting ready to start laying.then once they are laying switch to layer.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:There are some good articles in the Learning Center on the home page. Also some excellent threads linked on the FAQ page. Of course, feel free to post if you feel the need.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Easter Egger is the name. Means it is a cross with some ameraucana in it. Could lay any color egg.

I don't know about the DE. I Don't use it.

The fake eggs are to encourage laying in the nests and discourage egg eating. You can put them in anytime, but most people put them in when they start laying.

The starter is good. Scratch is mostly a treat. Same with bread and table scraps. The treats should not make up more than about 10% of their diet.

Start with layer food and supplemental oyster shell when they start laying.

If they can get to bare sandy soil they do not need grit. That is their grit.
    As they get older they may need something coarser.

Hope this is clear

Imp- welcome again

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Bud and [​IMG]
    I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
    Quote:Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Well, looks like others have answered your questions, but: [​IMG] I hope you enjoy your new pets. [​IMG]

7. theracenut

theracenut New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Lexington SC
    Thanks to all who answered my questions.

I found out this afternoon that it would have been a lot easier to paint the coop BEFORE the wire was put on.

I built my coop and run together and put wire on the bottom to keep out anything bad. Is it neccessary to have a door on the coop itself ?

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:?? I know it has some kind of door; not sure what you mean. If there is just a hole for the chickens so they can go freely to and from the run, a lot of people will tell you that you need to close them in the coop at night for predator protection. And a lot more people will tell you they don't do this. If you have a good wire run (or something coons can't get in) and a skirt around it to prevent digging, you probably don't unless you need it for weather.

How will you access it for cleaning?

9. theracenut

theracenut New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Lexington SC
    Ohh no I have doors...one on each side of the coop and one into the run area also.

I was talking about where the hens go in and out of the coop.

I am using 1" hex wire all around and on the bottom of the run as well.

Would that be racoon and preditor proof I assumed that it would be, I would have to find out later its not.

Bud...

10. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Coons can reach through that easily. You need to do some reading in the predators section. You need an apron of wire secured to the bottom of the run extending out a couple of feet (unless you want to do a lot of digging.) If the run isn't really predator proof then they would be safer if you close the coop at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by