newbie here with questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kedwards31, Mar 22, 2015.

1. kedwards31

kedwards31 New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Belgrade, MT
    so we have five orpington 9 month old hens that I picked up from a chicken farm yesterday. we introduced them to their coop and run yesterday and locked them up in the coop last night. This is our plan going forward. So the farmer called them hens because they are already producing full 2oz eggs (he said). How long does it take for them to start laying again? I imagine we stressed them due to the catch, transport, and new home experience. This morning when I lifted the door to let them out, I did check the inside of the coop and the shavings in the nesting boxes were trampled so I know they were checking it out.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have patience. Maybe only a few days, maybe a week or two -- hopefully. Unless they go into a molt!

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Keep them cooped for another day or so. It's a good sign that the nest boxes are disturbed. It indicates eggs are going to be arriving very soon!

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] x2- New hens may take days or even a couple weeks before they start to lay again. They're just adjusting to their new home.

5. kedwards31

kedwards31 New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Belgrade, MT
    So of course after I posted my question and left to run errands this morning, my hubby calls to say we have four eggs!!! Awesome...that happened way faster than I thought. Of corse four eggs, five hens....maybe tomorrow we will have five.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    That's a good sign! They must like their new home.

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Remember that before you moved them, some eggs were already in the "assembly line" and those are the ones you got today. They may lay one or two then stop until they are comfortable again. Not saying it absolutely WILL happen, just wanted to let you know that it might so you weren't disappointed to see eggs, then nothing for a few more days, or even a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. kedwards31

kedwards31 New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Belgrade, MT
    Quote: Thanks for reply I was banking on them not laying for a few days but we have had average of 3 eggs a day since w brought them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by