1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here with some questions... New York City

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by julienl, Aug 21, 2011.

1. julienl

julienl New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Hello All,
    First thanks much for such a great website... sooooo much info!!!
    My wife and I have decided to get a few chickens (3-4) and raise them in our backyard in the Bronx, NY. We have 4 children (9 year old girl and 3 year old triplets) and thought it would be a great experience for them to have chicken in their backyard.
    I grew up with animals in Europe and loved it.
    I plan to build my coop in the next couple of weeks but I have a few questions:
    1. Is there a time frame when we should get the chickens? I would like to get chickens that are almost ready to lay eggs (4-5 months) vs. day old chicks. Any advices/info/locations/website?
    2. Being in NY, the weather isn't always great in the winter... can anybody share advices regarding "winter" with chickens.
    3. Anybody in NY City, lower Westchester that would like to show me their setup and share info regarding supplies and such?

I think that is all for now.... thanks for your help as I am looking forward to raising our little chickens.

Sincerely.

Julien-

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, julienl. [​IMG] Unsure about how to obtain ready-to-lay hens. Poultry auctions? Craigslist? I'm sure they are out there but probably a little more costly than newborns due to the feed and care it took to get them to adulthood.
    In terms of weather, I think chickens are extremely resilant and can tolerate cold well. Certain breeds are best suited for cold conditions but I don't know really how cold it gets in NY so I'm not much help.
    Best of luck in your endeavors.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] check the forum out, I am sure you can find some point of lay somewhere close, there is a thread about "where are you" kind of things. Also a feed store might have some postings that you could look in to, not sure if you have one close. Good luck!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you became a member of this great site. [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from WA. [​IMG] glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by