Newbie here: worried my Ameraucanas may have pox or frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peacechikn, Dec 17, 2016.

1. peacechikn

peacechikn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    San Juan Island, WA
    1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    All 5 are Ameraucanas, approx. 2.5 yrs old, not sure about weight, maybe around 3 lbs?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Dark black/brownish spots on the combs of 3 of the 5 hens. One has a cracked area on her comb as well, and another has a small amount of blood on her comb (like a sore that hasn't scabbed over yet).

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    A few weeks?

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Yes, 3.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Nothing besides what I listed in #2.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I don't know :( Maybe because it's been unusually cold this winter? Normally our part of NW Washington doesn't get lower then 30-40, this year it's been 20-30.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eating (Kalmbach's Organic Harvest layer pellets) and drinking plenty, and all have normal energy levels.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Neosporin 1-2 times a day (the kind with pain reliever in it too).

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Prefer to treat it ourselves but will do whatever they need.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Photos linked at the end (sorry they're not the best, my phone is too slow for their fast moving heads.)

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pine shavings mixed with D.E. and a layer of Sweet PDZ on the bottom. I clean out the poop and wet litter about every other day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like a pecking sore fowl pox would spread throughout the comb.You got some pretty Ameraucanas

1 person likes this.
  3. MIghtyClucks

MIghtyClucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    Hello :)

It sounds like the ladies are acting normal. Are you sure those are not just peck marks? :) The girls will peck (especially the comb area) to establish dominance and pecking order. If it's frostbite, I would use a think layer of a salve called Waxelene on their combs.It helps heal and soothe.I have read and heard that it is not healthy to use petroleum jelly on the girls.

Also, be careful with Neosporin or anything like that if it contains any "-caine" ingredients, which is not good for chickens. I don't know that Neosporin contains that, but check just to make sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I see a combination of mild frostbite blistering and common peck marks from normal pecking order squabbling. No pox.

Bag Balm on the combs will soothe and heal and help protect from further frostbite.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by