Newbie here :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by babyjane, Nov 15, 2016.

1. babyjane

babyjane Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Mohave valley Az
    Hello from arizona! Got a acre and always wanted to be more self sustainable. So good grades from the kids prompted a reward of a pet chicken. We have Rodgy (americana) and Sunny (RIR) hopefully both girls ( I think they are)
    I have never owed a bird, it has been a fun adventure, but we are doing well, we have had them about 2weeks. I have a shitzhu as well a girl who usually chases aND try to eat birds, but have been able to harness her mommy instinct to get them to Co exsist at least for now.
    It is crazy the personality! And difference in the breeds, very fun to learn, I enjoy shaking their world a little daily. Introducing new things to them, and watch them freak out not knowing if it will "get them".
    Glad to find this site, as Rodgy already has sour crop I think, but I think it is going to clear up.
    We may add one more to our flock, but starting here for egg laying family members (atleast these ones will pay there rent in eggs ;-))

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on your child's good grades and getting into chickens! A word of advice, before adding any more birds to your current flock, read up on isolation and integration...there are precautions to be taken to ensure everyone's health and their getting along.

Have fun, thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually watching them freak out and fear for their safety is stressing them rather than helping them adapt. They may end up so skittish they won't allow anyone near them.

7. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana

I know, this made me really sad. I'm not sure what the purpose of "shaking their world" daily would be.

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Best wishes to you and your flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. babyjane

babyjane Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Mohave valley Az
    I have them try new foods. Is what I meant, or got a new food dispenser. I like to watch their reaction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by