1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jaime9118, Jan 27, 2017.

1. jaime9118

jaime9118 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi! I am new to chickens but moved out into the country so... what's next? Chickens!
    I bought 3 bearded silkies and 2 Americana's and love watching them grow. We currently have them inside but can't wait for them to go out to the coop. They are pretty stinky! So, my question is for the Silkie pros. The chicks are about 6 weeks and I am dying to know what sex they are. Anyone want to give their professional opinion?? :)[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. jaime9118

jaime9118 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    Can't figure out how to post more pics. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. jaime9118

jaime9118 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    [​IMG]Number2 [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. jaime9118

jaime9118 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    Number 3[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2017
    No guessing for me...but welcome to BYC! Enjoy
    DB

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jaime9118 [​IMG] Welcome!

Silkie genders is way out of my league, especially at 6 weeks .. with those little munchkins sometimes you just never know until you get that first egg or crow! [​IMG]

They are probably still too young for even the experts to give you a definitive gender but you could try posting on the Silkie Thread for some opinions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/63110

They are very cute!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jaime9118, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Any gender guesses from me would just be a shot in the dark so I'll leave that to the experts. Great looking assortment, however, and I wish you the best with them!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Way too young to tell! You'll have to wait until 4-6 months on most of them.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    totally agree with Queen Misha, silkies are among the most difficult of breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Young chicks are a serious gamble if you aren't allowed to have cockerels.

1 person likes this.
  10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I can't tell the gender either but they are cute! Hope you're enjoying them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by