Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redbug55, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Redbug55

Redbug55 Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Dayton, TX
    Hi all, my name is Brandi and am a newbie to the chicken world. We recently finished our coop and bought 4 1-week old chicks that are now 3-week olds and the week after we got them we "rescued" a chicken from horrible conditions. I'm not sure of her breed and have posted in the ID forum about her. I spent months researching everything chicken but it never compairs to hands on, I feel kinda chicken dumb now. Hope everyone doesn't mind all my questions. Thanks for having me!

Here is my rescue girl

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hopefully the experts over on the ID forum can tell you what she is...all I can say is that she is a striking looking girl.

It's nice to have you here, hope you're enjoying your flock!

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome! [​IMG] Well, your new girls plumage looks a bit like a Barnvelder, but I'm not totally convinced. Perhaps someone else can pinpoint her breed - she beautiful tho'
    Have you got your babies and the rescue hen separated?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful bird looks like a game breed or game bird mix.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Brandi [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, no idea what she is but she is beautiful!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Redbug55

Redbug55 Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Dayton, TX
    Oh yes. Babies are still in the brooder. I wanted to make sure she was healthy before I introduced them but I haven't been able to look her over really well as she isn't very social. I've tried treats to get her close to me but she has been chased all her life and is still pretty apprehensive. I'm pretty nervous about how to go about moving the chicks to the coop when the time comes.

7. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hopefully she will have become more trusting with you by then and will acclimate to her new friends well! Keep us posted, [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Redbug, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I agree - very pretty bird! Hope the breed ID forum can help you out! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by