Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emcakes814, Mar 30, 2017.

1. emcakes814

emcakes814 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Hello y'all! I'm completely new to keeping chickens. I purchased from tractor supply and the kid that helped me gave me straight run instead of pullets and I have no idea what breeds they are. Looking for help and advice on possible breed and sex.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, emcakes814, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! So, straight run chickens. What that your choice or a mistake by the TSC employee? What's your plan with with the inevitable roosters? If you'd like a crash course in poultry keeping you should take a tour of the many articles of the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And you can fellow Okie chicken folks in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/501128/okies-in-the-byc-iii
    Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!

3. emcakes814

emcakes814 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Mistake of the employee... my goal was to have pullets for eggs. What happened was they were what was left over. All in one bin together and under marked. He told me they were all pullets but are not. They gave them to me for $0.50 a piece to get rid of them. Now I think they all are roos but 1.My plan with the roos is to find placement for.them through a local farmers Facebook group.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you can put photos of them at "what breed or gender is this." just in case they find a pullet in the bunch.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad you have joined us.

But so sorry, about your dilemma.

You can try posting pics under " what breed, what gender" , but often you can't tell male from female until they get several weeks older.

I hope you lucked out and drew mostly or at least some gals [​IMG]. But the truth is straight run will likely be mostly roos [​IMG].

Good luck in rehoming the roos.

6. emcakes814

emcakes814 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all! If this runs true I have all but 1 roos. What do you think of this chart? Ithe was given to me on a post in a Facebook group.[​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

8. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Welcome to the group and I love the pictures of the chicks and how to tell them apart. Good luck !

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under emcakes814 [​IMG] Welcome!

I have had a couple of bantam cochin hatches and while not always the case, I have found that the chicks with the longer wing feathers more often than not turn out to be pullets.

For example, Blondie on the right at 2 weeks had much longer wing feathers and more advanced feathering than her two brothers:

[​IMG]

Having said that, I do not have 100% faith in that being a definitive gender marker. I prefer to go by comb size and colour and better still, that first crow or egg [​IMG] With her brothers, their comb size and colour in comparison to her lack of comb at the same age was a dead giveaway.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by