Newbie Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by legallyblonde, Apr 12, 2017.

1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Herald, California
    New here and new to the chicken world. I am currently raising 9 chickens, 3 sex-links, 3 silkies, 2 bantams and 1 leghorn. I just found out 4 of them are roosters. So I am going to sell the roosters (who are beautiful) and try my luck again.

All you can hear at my house lately is crowing and then barking as my dog has no clue what to make of the strange noise. Funny but highly annoying.

I raised all of them from an early age, the sex-links were a week when I got them and the silkies were two weeks. They are now 12 weeks and 16 weeks old. The bantams are currently only a week old and living in my bathtub with the three week old leghorn. The leghorn is a guaranteed female and treats the little bantams like her babies. I have a coop with fencing that they are in while I am gone. When I get home from work I usually let them into my fenced in yard and they follow me around while I water or garden or plant new seeds. I built their roosting bars and nesting boxes from scratch. I bought the coop but got it recycled from someone else who had just upgraded their coop to a bigger set up.

I also have two ducks, one horse, two dogs, and one cat.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your chickens!

p.s. I like the username!

-Jet

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under legallyblonde [​IMG] Welcome!

Good luck rehoming your boys.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Legally Blond, Welcome to Backyard chickens. BTW silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by