Newbie Here

crazychickenlady2018

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I remember my MawMaw having chickens growing up, but other than throwing them some feed and hearing the rooster crow, I don't remember much about them. I impulsively bought chicks while walking through Tractor Supply with my kids on Easter weekend. :/
My husband and I moved from the city to a more country setting with some land and had talked about getting chickens after the first of the year and hadn't yet. I brought home 1 white leghorn and 3 RIRs. We were told the leghorn was a female, but the others we didn't know. Sadly one passed away 2 days after we got it and were left with 2 RIRs. I went back to get a few more about a week later and came home with 4 Isa Browns and 1 black andalusian. I also bought 2 ducklings.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
As of right now, we have 8 chicks and 2 ducklings.

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 Leghorn
1 Black Andalusian
2 Rhode Island Reds
4 Isa Browns
2 Pekin Ducklings

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
After the cuteness wore off, the panic set in. How do I raise these chicks? What kind of coop? What is pasty butt?....with every google search, BackYardChickens.com offered the best advice in great detail.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I have 3 children (9.5, 7, and 3.5) so they keep me pretty busy. I am a preschool teacher, so almost everything I do that isn't cooking, cleaning, or caring for the family is in preparation for my work days. Planning lessons, cutting things out, etc... I love to craft with vinyl, making t shirts and other things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
^^I guess I jumped the gun a little. Oops.
I have been married for over 10 years and have 3 daughters. We have a dog (not entirely sure of the breed, as my husband brought her home from the flea market) named Remmi. I am a preschool teacher and am almost finished with my Child Development Degree. We lived in the city for most of our marriage but were finally able to get out to the country last year and have been loving getting to plan so much for our new home and land. We hope to get goats in the near future also.

Egg shaped welcome.jpg

Nice introduction!

Enjoy the babies

Back
Top Bottom