Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TabbyG, Mar 25, 2012.

1. TabbyG

TabbyG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Hey Ya'll... I'm Tabitha - I'm a newbie to the site, but also a newbie to raising baby chicks. I just purchased 3 red pullets & 3 pullets last week. They've been a great addition to our family and we've had a lot of fun with them. We have them in the house right now under the heat lamp until our coop is built... anything I should know about this breed, or having small children around them? So far things are going great and I'm in LOVE!

2. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    I am new here as well. We got 3 red and 3 mixed from TSC and they are about 4 weeks old now. One of the reds started pecking the tail feathers and backs of two of the others a few days ago. We moved them out to the coop where there is more room and the pecking has been reduced, but one of the victims looks pretty bad.

Just something to watch for. We are using a red heat lamp, which is supposed to reduce the tendency to peck, but I think they were too cramped in the brooder tub. They grow very fast.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. TabbyG

Mar 15, 2012
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I got mine from TSC as well... Hopefully in the next 2 weeks their coop will be finished. I've noticed 1 or 2 is a little more agressive and kinda takes charge of the others, but they've done well under their light - it definetly calms them after a holding session with the kids.

I hope the pecked baby gets better - poor thing!

5. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Another newbie here. I live 30 miles outside of L.A. and have my first chicks. 2 Barred Rock and 2 Ameracaunas. They are almost two weeks old. No problems so far but they are getting more feisty and harder to catch when you need to get ahold of them. Coop should be up and finished in a week or so. For now they are inside. Have loved this site and all the info. Glad to be a member. TabbyG I have a three year old too but she won't hold them. She is afraid of the fluttering. Are yours picking them up on their own?

6. TabbyG

Mar 15, 2012
    Gloucester, Virginia
    My 3 & 4 year old are ALL OVER them! They want to hold them every second of the day - they're asking right now actually [​IMG]. The only think my 3 yo dislikes is the poop, haha.

7. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Yes the poop factor on her pants freaked her out. She loves to sit with them for hours and give them all my spinach starts. She has picked almost all of them. They think they are worms or something and go crazy which makes her laugh. I am so glad she is experiencing this.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome and chickens, all of you! (except oldchick. :lol:)

Having young children around shouldn't be a problem, as long as they're gentle. Your kids sound fine! It helps the chicks get used to people if they're played with often, that's why we've always raised chickens from maybe a week or two old, that way they will come running to us when they're older. :lol:

Glad things are going okay!

As a side note, I still remember the first time a chicken pooped on me. I about had a panic attack, and I was 11 at the time. :lau

9. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    As long as the kids a re supervised, hicks and kids are a great combination. One thing you might want to think about is making sure the kids wash their hands good immediately after handling the chicks, Some people keep a bottle of hand sanitizer next to the brooder before they even leave the area.

10. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Yes we had read about the hand washing and have been doing that but putting some hand sanitizer next to the coop sounds like a great idea as kids put hand in mouths right away. I was wondering. Does the salmonella threat stay with the chickens their whole lives or is it just when they are chicks? Did that make sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by