Newbie here!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nina526, Mar 18, 2013.

1. nina526

nina526 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys!

Need a little help if you'd be so kind! I picked up 6 chicks from TSC - 3 pullets and 3 red pullets.
    I'm wondering if anyone could determine what breed the red chicks are.

I've been researching and thought maybe red stars or red sexlink, but I'm not too sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably rsl's looks like mine did
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Hi Nina and Welcome! Many TSCs order from large hatcheries in their general region. Im in Louisiana and not sure of whats in your neck of teh country. Nomatter what particular breed or cross, they will be great layers, especially with some TLC :eek:)

4. nina526

nina526 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thank you bamachicks and thank you for the warm welcome Lejeune!

I am from Massachusetts but I do believe with bamachicks' help they are red sexlinks!

I also have these lighter ones and am clueless as to what they might be.. [​IMG]

5. bamachicks8

[​IMG]
    Let me know if you figure it out I still haven't. I'm leaning towards Leghorn but with such a small comb I can't be sure

6. nina526

nina526 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I still haven't either! I'm thinking white leghorns or white Plymouth rocks. All six chicks were the same size when we got them but the white ones have grown considerably faster than the red pullets. I'm hoping they're not Cornish Cross as I'm not raising them for meat.

7. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    It is an Isa Brown. You will love her- they are the sweetest dang things. A mix of a white leghorn and a production red (rhode island red)

8. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Here are some Isa Browns from day old to about 2 months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nina526

nina526 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ah yes! That's exactly how they looked when we first got them! Yay they're so pretty. And you're right they are sweethearts. Especially compared to the white chicks who seem to be the bosses! Thanks so much!

10. bamachicks8

[​IMG]
    I agree the rsl's are super sweet. I'm pretty sure the white one's area big enough to be Cornish rocks. I'm hoping if they do turn out to be leghorns that they are nothing like my current Leghorn. She is mean as can be and is heading for a new home or freezer camp as
    Soon as everyone else starts laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by