newbie here

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thomassio, Jul 31, 2013.

1. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi all, I am really keen to get a few ducks. Im pretty much decided on 3 or 4 indian runners.
    I have a few very simple questions and hope that you can help!
    So what would be the preferred aged to get them? I want them as pets but also for eggs as a bonus! What is point of lay?
    I know this is probably rwally stupid.....what exactly should I feed them? I read chicken food is fine then that its not, what is flick raiser? And layer food?! Is there any definate no nos in terms of treats? I mean is most raw veg safe? i think i heard people feed them ground up egg shells too?
    Sorry for the daft questions but I want to get it right!

Thanks a lot.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    i have ducks that i have had from many different ages. i personally like the duckling part to getting them as adults. Mine are my pets, they love treats, things like fresh greens and peas. i fed them chick starter as ducklings but it has to be unmedicated. then as adults the eat layer food. when they get greens i make sure they have grit to grind it up with when they eat. i have seven ducks of laying age (one is male) and get four eggs a day. my two calls don't lay. hope this helps and [​IMG]

3. MadiLarson

MadiLarson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I got my food from the feed store, it's called game bird starter. Most ducks start laying around 14 weeks, I got my duck when she was 4 days old and she's imprinted on me, the whole experience has been so much more rewarding for that. But with a duckling comes more work and responsibility; however, I raised a single duck so that was even MORE work. There's a treat list on here, I think it's on a sticky. Some that Phil likes are peas, cat food, and corn. Just don't feed them bread, onions, avocado, carbonated drinks will kill them, and apple seeds are toxic too.

4. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I feed mine the same as Duckobsessed.
    Chicken food has been fine for the years I've been keeping ducks.
    I wouldn't worry about supplementing their food as long as you let them free-range. Feed them treats to get them to like you. Because they will be afraid of you no matter how young you get them. Use food to keep them coming to you.

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

Here is a good link to answer your questions and help get you started. You can also peruse the "Stickies" section for information.

Make sure to get all the same sex or only 1 male to 3-4 females and plan on securely locking them in at night at any age. Lots of animals like duckie dinner.

Best of luck!

6. thomassio

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the replies people. Sorry carcajou but I cant see the link.
    Thanks.

7. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
  8. thomassio

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot guys. I now have three lovely young Indian runners, all chocolate and I'm very happy with them. I'm not expecting them to ever be super tame and hop into my lap, but at the moment they are terrified of me and reluctant to even come out of the coop. Will they ever get used to me? Is it down to individual ducks? Runners as a breed? Thanks again.

9. mariehanson

mariehanson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Northern England, UK
    I quickly won my duckies over with the magical power of peas. I've only had my ducks for 6 weeks now but they are much tamer since I've given them peas once a week. I bought a bag of cheap frozen peas and just defrost them in a cup of boiling water, let them cool and throw them to the ducks. They've even started to eat the peas out of my hand this week. My ducks still run away from me if I walk too fast towards them but if I sit down in the lawn and just watch them for a bit they get curious and come nibbling at my shoes (or toes) demanding peas. Warning, peas make duck poo glowing green.

10. thomassio

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot. Another question...and there is likely to be a lot more.....I was told they were 4-6 weeks old and two still have a tiny amount of fluff on the back of the head/neck. Does that sound about right for the age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by