Newbie here...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie_momma, Aug 20, 2008.

1. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    I am expecting my first shipment of baby chicks in on 9/2 and I am sooo nervous!!!!

I have their water/feeder and brooder already with the heat lamp... I just dont know what to feed them!!! I know they need the chick (grower/starter) crumbles- but what brand is best?

My chicks are being vaccinated so do they need the medicated food??

I have so many questions- but I will start off slow!!! [​IMG]

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Welcome! Congrats on getting your new babies soon!

We buy what the feedstore has for starter feed. Sometimes they have medicated and sometimes not - small town! Right now our newest batch of chicks has the medicated feed. But our last bag of feed was not medicated. If you talk to the feedstore people they are usually pretty helpful. And you'll get lots fo info from our chicken people on here too! This place is wonderful!

When your chicks get bigger you can give them treats too! Mine love cut up apples and hard boiled eggs! Spoil the chicks!!!! They make great pets! [​IMG]

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Just feed them there starter crumbles for now and let them get settled in. In a few weeks you can give them some yogurt, banana, cooked rice or cooked oatmeal, scrambled egg...but these are treats so keep them at a minimum.
    Still use the medicated feed if available, at least the first bag you go through.[​IMG]
    If you have any questions just ask people here...they are so knowledgeable and helpful...I love this place.[​IMG]

and .... [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    If the vaccination is for cocci the medicated food is generally to develop resistance to cocci. If you get the marek's the feed is not for that.

There seem to be 2 trains of thought. Those who don't use medicated feed and let their flock build up a resistance to cocci on their own, and the other to give the chicks a leg up on it.

It's up to you.

I've been medicated feed because that's the only kind of chick starter my feed store sold.

5. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hey there

when you get your feed get chick starter grit, and when you buy food make sure it is NOT 24% starter feed. it makes them grow and feather out way to quick, i got some by mistake, thank god is was a very small bag, make sure the starter is 20% many people dont agree but i got to checking and reaserching and the 24% is for..quail, pheasents, chukar, and i think turkeys to, but dont quote me on the turkey. reason is my chicks were a week old and at 3 weeks they were completly feathered out (way too young). congrats on the babies

6. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    My chicks are being vaccinated against coccidiosis (sp?)...what is the difference with the Marek vaccine???

Will the chicks needs chick grit while eating crumbles??

Has anyone ever heard of putting 1 tsp of vineager into the water supply to rid of bacteria/parasites?

thanks again!!!!

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    mareks and cocci are two different diseases.

If you are getting your chicks vaccinated against cocci by the breeder/hatchery, then you DO NOT need medicated feed.

Cocci is a protozoal illness that causes bloody diahrea. Mareks is a viral disease that causes neurological damage and death.

They don't need grit if all they are eating is chick starter/crumbles. I don't fool with grit - I just don't give treats until they are out on the ground in the grow out pen where they can pick up their own grit from the ground.

A lot of folks here use the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). There is a particular kind you need to look for, which escapes me at the moment, but do a search for ACV and you'll find some hits.

Enjoy your babies and welcome!!

8. smileysjs1

smileysjs1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    countrysidenatural.com has a nice organic chick starter feed

9. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Hello chickie_momma !!!! [​IMG] You have landed in the right place. Those of us that are 'newbies' have learned a lot here. The people are wonderful and helpful. Its also a great place to tell your stories, and learn from others. So take a long cruse around the place, and feel free to ask questions. As far as feeding goes, check with your local feed store on products and feed mixtures available. They generally know their stuff. P.S. we would love to see new pictures when you get your babies in!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Its been said, but I give my chicks the medicated food. They seem to like it and gobble it up pretty fiercely. I know you can start to feed them other stuff later and experiment to see what they like. If your chix are vaccinated, the medicated food won't do much, but it couldn't hurt either.

Since you're starting out, just make sure you have a warm, dry place for them to hang out with ample lighting and food/water. BE WARNED! They crap all the time and everywhere. Change their area daily or get enough pine shavings to cover their area. I have mine in a plastic pool with newspaper and cardboard down. They seem to like it and don't complain. They don't slip around much either.

I know you can buy feed and have it shipped, but I wouldn't recommend it. Whether you're urban or rural, you should be able to find chick starter feed somewhere fairly close. I'd buy the 50 lb bag if you can.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by