Newbie here.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EABK, Oct 26, 2014.

1. EABK

EABK New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Getting ready to take the plunge into raising laying hens in the suburb! Enjoying the
    wealth of info here!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Does your town have restrictions on the number of chickens you can have?

3. EABK

EABK New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    HOA doesn't look to kindly on it. May be a covert operation. [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Yep, lots of good information here and some very helpful, knowledgeable people to answer any questions you might have.

The "covert" operation might be tricky to pull off unless you have a lot of space between you and neighbors. Chickens aren't the quietest animals, at least not the ones I've been around. Even if you don't have a rooster crowing off/on all day, the hens can make quite a racket. Guess that could vary depending on breed or situation but they do squabble and get excited sometimes. Once they begin laying, a lot of them will "sing" an egg song. And then you have some chickens that are just more talkative than others. Maybe you could buy your closest neighbor's acceptance with eggs if they are bothered by your chickens.

Good luck to you, let us know how your new venture goes!

5. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    Hi... I'm new too, and also have back yard chickens...

So, I'm looking forward to see how things go with your chicks, and neighbors.

(One of mine likes to talk a lot -Should have named her 'Gabby' instead of "Henny Penny").

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with your new experience, raising chickens is so much fun...

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. EABK

EABK New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks all for the welcomes. Yes, I am quite familiar with hen chatter having grown up on a farm with chickens. And yes fresh eggs go a long way in keeping the peace. Anybody have any ideas or experience using sound reduction materials or techniques in or around coops? Or generally quiet breeds? I want to be a good neighbor.

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

There is not really any quiet breeds. Generally hens are fairly quiet except for their egg songs. But much of the day they are very quiet. Definitely don't keep any roosters. Keep it clean and don't let them eat the neighbors prized flower beds, and you should be ok. When you start to get the eggs, definitely share them with the neighbors! Who doesn't love farm fresh eggs!!

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by