1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KDob521, Dec 10, 2014.

1. KDob521

KDob521 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Riverview, FL
    Hi everyone! My name is Kayla. Growing up, I've only had one group (is it called a flock?) Of chickens. It was 9 hens and 1 rooster. Bought them as chicks from a feed store and my parents did all of the feeding and managing. Once they were old enough, my dad killed them slowly one by one so we could eat them. Never bothered to hatch any eggs with this group.
    Here we are in the present time, my father-in-law gave me 5 fertile eggs with a Styrofoam incubator. My husband busted one egg in the process of setting everything up so I'm down to 4. One was also cracked by my husband but after reading advice on this site, I melted some wax onto the crack. I started them at roughly 8am on December 4th. So I guess I'm on day 6 today. I love using my phone flash(light) to candle them. Nice veins in all 4 and nice dancers :D I am so excited for this process! First time incubating. Once they're hatched, they're staying in my father-in-law's coop until we move out to Mulberry next year around March. If everything grows as it should, I hope to have chicks on or right after Christmas. The anticipation is killing me!!!

2. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KDob521

Dec 10, 2014
    Riverview, FL
    Lol thank you! I'm on the edge of my seat!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!! Yes, waiting on eggs to hatch can nearly kill you. LOL I sure hope you have a good hatch. Keep us posted on it and if you run into any issues along the way, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our flock!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Kayla! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. KDob521

Dec 10, 2014
    Riverview, FL
    Thank you everyone. I love it here! Can't. Stop. Researching! Lol

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome , I hope you will update us when they hatch. I'll be waiting and watching [​IMG]

10. KDob521

Dec 10, 2014
    Riverview, FL
    Absolutely! The more I research about these beautiful creatures, the more excited I get about the final days :D!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by